ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Water Usage Monitor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Just came across this link for a DIY water usage monitor :- http://spectrum.ieee...erusage-monitor

The system described works by attaching a magnetometer to the incoming water meter to detect the speed of rotation of the internal gubbins. Then using an Arduino and Pi to clean up the signal and display the real time flow rate. It seems a nice little project with the downside of having to send a signal from the meter to the house (in this case via a 50ft cable).

It occurs to me that this is one of the few things I haven't considered monitoring on the new build and I wonder if I should. It also seems that I should be able to mount something on the incomer as it enters the house to give the flow signal rather than have to send signals the length of the garden.

Any one tried this ? Any thoughts on configuration and construction ?

#2 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:54 PM

You can get a pretty cheap water meter with a built in interface to send pulse data to whatever you want. See here for a £25 one, WRAS approved: http://www.ebay.co.u...QBANJMdSQ5J74QQ

#3 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

Hi Jeremy,
You've been quite,missed your beardy face the last few days old fruit

#4 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:13 PM

Don't quite get this, as it's new build you have a water meter supplied from your supplier (free and whether you want one or not), how often do you need to check and how difficult is it really?

#5 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:18 PM

You can never collect enough data, more people should do it.

I am just re-writing the scripts that collect my energy data so I can access it anywhere and have a reliable backup.
I hate programming, it just gives me a headache. :(

#6 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the responses - I have never come across a pulse output water meter, looks ideal for this application.
I'm with Steamy on the data collection. I'm currently intending to monitor temperature, humidity and power consumption/generation at multiple points in the building. I had not considered being able to monitor real time water usage but for the sake of an extra £25 on the plumbing bill it seems like a useful thing to add.

I am not sure what I will use the data for but (for instance) water usage may be a good proxy for building occupancy on a day by day basis. If the building is not occupied it may be possible to reduce the power consumption of the treatment plant. I'm sure other variants will emerge over time.

#7 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

You could get two of those pulse meters, one on the incoming mains and another on the hot side (does depend on your DHW setup).
Then not only do you log the amount you use you also know your hot/cold usage.

It is interesting about 'what to do with the data'. I often wonder this as I have about a GB of it.
One use would be to let a local college/university have access to it for projects.
Another would be to sell the design or data to an energy company of some sort.

I am currently playing about with getting my logged data sent directly to a bit of 'the cloud', just trying to get the security side of it sorted out, I hate programming.

#8 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

I'm also with Steamy. Taken a water meter reading nearly every week for 20 years. Initially I was just curious to see how much was used and also thought it might help to spot leaks. So far the 800-900 readings have failed to produce any useful info, but then who knows when there'll be a leak!

Edited by DavidFrancis, 01 December 2015 - 09:00 AM.

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Do they show when you are on holiday, or there are more people in the house?
That is useful to some people :o

#10 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

Yes, they do. But then I'll have already known that before taking a reading. If I've forgotten when we've been on holiday I've not yet had to resort to checking the water usage!