ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Building The Dream.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheMitchells

TheMitchells

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationBicester, Oxfordshire

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

Did anyone think the same as me last night - there is no way the couple from Newcastle actually built that huge Georgian house for £280k. They said £320k but that included 40k to fill in the mining holes under the site. I liked the house and quite a bit inside but the rooms were enormous! As they spent the whole programme saying how tight the budget was, why didnt they just make it slightly smaller? Less stress all round I would have thought.

Series 4, episode 1.

#2 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

It's TV!! :rolleyes:
How many viewers would tune in for "It all went smoothly" ? :D
Regards,nick.

#3 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

I watched that one in Cornwall, the Navy bloke.
That seemed to go alright. No drama or disasters.

#4 crozier84

crozier84

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

I watched the episode and must say I really think it looked well and exactly the sort of style that we are going for! The only problem with that show is that I would love if that would go into a bit more detail in terms of detaing systems, construction etc. I noticed they went with radiators so would be interesting to know what sort of set up they went with

#5 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

You can sometimes get more info on the builds in the various C4 programmes from their web site. Can't see anything on the latest prog yet, but there's stuff on series 3 here for example:

http://www.channel4....series-3-builds

Although the series 3 info doesn't give you any technical details, if you're really interested you could email one or more of the links?

#6 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:51 PM

The vast majority of the public want to see the standard format. Starts great money runs tight shat happens( divorce, birth, health scare ) job gets done or nearly finished and they have a nice toliet and kitchen.
If they focused more on the technical side most people would get bored and switch over.
I think building the dream does get more info across than grand designs as most of the self builders are normal people that don't have a 3 million quid budget.

#7 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

That Dick Strawbridge thing was quite popular, and that was about roughing it (with a lot of cash in the bank).

If things were a bit more educational as well ass exciting, maybe a few sparks of the DC wires on a solar panel, or better still showing an inverter responding to sunlight and what it can do.

Just needs the right presenter that can make the mundane to us, interesting to the general public.
Just think how interesting Damon's Dad made things. And Will Self is doing a fantastic job about James Clark Maxwell's Equations on Radio 4 this week.
It could be done.

Disclaimer now:
I don't have a telly and only watch things that get recommended on here.

Edited by SteamyTea, 26 November 2015 - 07:29 PM.

#8 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

I saw an episode of this on More4 last night, must be a new one as it was a build finished this year, house in Congleton, Cheshire.

Actually saw this architect/designer at a self build show earlier in the year and he came round to our house before we'd moved in to look at our job. Quoted us a price starting from £100k for our 50 sq m extension so we said at the time, we're out.

As for his house? Can't say I was a fan, sorry.

#9 AliG

AliG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

I went and watched the episode with the Georgian house last night.

I thought they achieved a lovely look inside for little expense.

As ever they didn't explain much about the construction, but it looked like a site built timber frame with earth wool type insulation in the frame and roof. I'd expect it to be very leaky and looking at the thickness of the studs it would have pretty poor U-values. Coupled with double glazed sash windows, I couldn't help but think that it might have been cheap to build but it won't be cheap to run.

On a side note, often when I have seen the show, Charlie has made quite sensible suggestions to alter floor plans making better use of the space. This time he suggested making two bedrooms exactly the same size and removing their en suites. It seems he preferred this for its Georgian proportions and fairness to the kids. I would guess the kids would have appreciated their own en suites as they get older and making the rooms exactly the same size is an odd thing to target. In fairness they maybe only agreed to this to save money.

The suggestions he made re the downstairs layout and windows made a lot of sense.

Edited by AliG, 04 December 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#10 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:14 AM

I watched the latest one last night, recorded some time in the last week, the Polish built house in Sterling.

The only thing that struck me was when the house was almost finished, only then did they think to apply for an electricity supply, only to be told we will give you a quote within 45 days. In the end they were living in the house for 11 weeks before the electricity was connected, with just an extension lead from next door to keep them going.

That and the bright red roof tiles that would never be allowed up here.

#11 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

What was unusual compared to self-builds near us is the fact that they were in the house after about three months.

One three houses away took two years and the boundary wall still isn't finished as there's a dispute with the neighbour I think. Opposite that is another self build that has just got the windows in after two years. Two houses up from that the slates are half way done after about 18 months. Six houses away in a different direction they've just got the windows in after four years. And at the top of the lane behind us the windows still aren't in after four years, but it is a large house.

#12 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

Yes but the cost of that speed was the high cost of the house, something like £250K build cost meaning the house was only worth £25K over it's total cost. If ours costs that much then I simply won't be able to afford it, so the only way a project like ours is viable, is by doing it slowly, a lot myself, and everything kept to minimum cost.

#13 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

The price of the average UK home will rise by 50% in the next 10 years, say the National Association of Estate Agents and the Association of Rental Letting Agents.

They forecast that average prices will rise from £280,000 to £419,000 by 2025.

London house prices are forecast to nearly double to £931,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-35102130

So hopefully any overspend would be recouped over time!

Edited by Triassic, 17 December 2015 - 09:25 AM.

#14 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

Did they use this chart to predict the prices.
Looks like a kid was given a felt tip and asked to fill it in.

Attached Files