ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Sunamp PV vs Thermal Store Heat Loss Comparison

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:44 PM

Bear in mind that you can very easily, and fairly quickly, recharge the Sunamp if need be, either with a time switch or a manual boost. Charging from cold to enough for a ten minute shower would take about 1 hour, maybe a bit less, but would be at full electricity cost. Useful as a standby, though, which is why I've built in the ability to manually override the PV diverter to give a boost charge if needed.

#42 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

Given its weight, I wonder if extra structural joists are required for larger versions, if placed upstairs (or on a suspended floor)?

#43 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

It's a lot lighter than the thermal store it replaced, and being a bit wider, straddles two joists better. The thermal store weighed around 300kg, the Sunamp PV is around 75 kg. Both are in more or less the same place, but because the Sunamp PV is slimmer (front to back) the centre of mass is closer to the joist ends.

#44 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Right, had a chance to plot min, max and mean air temperatures and my water temperature (pipe runs under house and I run tap for 60 second).
Tracks external temp pretty well.

Attached Files

#45 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:56 AM

So, do you think any conclusions can be drawn on your under-house temperature and, if so, what are the implications (perhaps for your heating or your insulation)?

#46 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:07 AM

Not yet, needs much more data. But just having an idea of water temperatures is helpful for modelling thermal losses more accurately.

It may be worth me insulating the floor more, but that becomes a large job, easy to add an inch, very hard to add 5 inches.

As an aside, if I was fitting any new water storage, I would be inclined to fit it when water temperatures were rising, would make it look more impressive than it is.
Actually I wouldn't, but worth remembering that.

Edited by SteamyTea, 28 November 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#47 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

Before the floor goes down in my new house I will be putting a number of temperature probes under the floor, so I can measure the actual under floor temperature. That should be interesting.

#48 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

I can't see anywhere the cost of each system, this would allow readers to compare and contrast the cost benefits of each approach?

#49 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

There are some numbers mentioned here: http://www.ebuild.co...1-sunamp-stack/

Edited by gravelld, 02 February 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#50 VIPMan

VIPMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationLancaster

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostTriassic, on 02 February 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

I can't see anywhere the cost of each system, this would allow readers to compare and contrast the cost benefits of each approach?

SunampPV's are 1700 (excl Vat) per unit.

#51 cjard

cjard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

What's a sunamp stack cost? I note that the other parameters of the stack (weight, kw, volume) are all about 12 times greater - does that mean that they're £20k ? Brochure did also say "saves 3000/yr, payback in 4 years" so...

#52 1anR

1anR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:40 PM

Around about 6 months ago I was told pricing for a full stack would be circa £7.5K. It's unlikely a house would require a full stack so actual pricing would be determined by how it was configured.

#53 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

More on SunampPV:

http://www.energy-st...cotlands-sunamp

I met Andrew the other day and we briefly discussed JSH's installation amongst other things.

Rgds

Damon