ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Debate On Standard Of New Builds

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#101 AliG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:38 PM

I wouldn't put anything past them. The legal standing of new home buyers is very poor, I wouldn't fancy having to fight that one in court.

When I have bought houses I have poked around the site while they were building them, much to their annoyance I am sure. I still haven't found all the issues.

My last house when I moved in just happened to be missing one lightbulb in a cupboard and one in the garage. As these weren't vital places for a bulb I didn't really worry about it, I did point out they were missing on the snagging list. Eventually I just put them in myself. In the cupboard it became immediately apparent that the light switch had been fitted upside down. I could have made a song and dance about possibly being electrocuted as I thought the light was off. When I put the garage bulb in, I found that they had never connected electricity to the garage. They had to dig up the garden to connect it up. I'll never be convinced that whoever put up the bulbs didn't discover these issues and it wasn't entirely coincidental that these were the only missing bulbs.

After Jeremy's comments re insulation I did look at the price of a IR camera for my phone, if they were a bit cheaper I would buy one to see what's missing inside our walls.

Edited by AliG, 28 November 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#102 oz07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

I doubt it. It's cheaper for big builders to stick to the exact same layouts. Obviously they're not generous but I wouldn't believe that managent asks the coddys to knock a foot off if they can!