ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Last Weeks Small Spaces....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

Had a chap selling up his house and building a floating house in a container, floated on a concrete pontoon in a marina.

His goal was to be "mortgage free"

Well he achieved that, at the expense of now being committed to £400 per month marina fees to keep his floating box there.

Doesn't seem that much of a bargain to me really.

there was no mention of a toilet in his floating house, so I guess for that "inconvenience" he has to take a walk ashore and use the marina's toilet block? you would think he would at least have a porta potti so you only need to go ashore to empty it every few days.

His steel box was very much an immovable floating house, yet he is now surrounded by a lot of proper boats that offer their owners decent accommodation and are capable of going places. I know which I would prefer.

Edited by ProDave, 15 November 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#2 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

Council tax?
:huh:

#3 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

I agree, Dave, but as Nick has mentioned, the mooring charge may include Council Tax and the provision of services, I suspect, so may not be such bad value. It's a bit like living in a mobile home, but in a different environment. The asset will depreciate, like a mobile home and unlike a house, but that may not matter if the owner accepts the risk and adapts to a change where instead of investing in a mortgage he's investing in future security of some other kind (in essence, he needs to invest in a sinking fund in order to provide for contingencies like moving to another mooring or having to replace the houseboat within his lifetime).

#4 doofaloofa

doofaloofa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationWesht Cark

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:12 PM

View PostProDave, on 15 November 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

there was no mention of a toilet in his floating house,

Mullet gotta eat yo!

#5 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:36 PM

I was going to say floaters in his toilet house.
Maybe some kind of medieval catapult would do it. :wacko:
A crapapult ?
:)

#6 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Is there a link to this programme/boat?

#7 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

I lived in a (im)mobile home for 18 months. I couldn't find a house I could afford so that was what I bought (until 18 months later a very cheap estate of very small houses in a very poor area came on the market at I price I could almost afford)

Yes you own the mobile home but you have to pay ground rent for the site, and you had to pay rates (as it was then) to the council and water rates. In my case it was not on a normal mobile home park, but was just someone's bit of garden they had fenced off, so I paid the ground rent to the next door neighbour and it was a bit below the going rate for a mobile home on a big site.

My guess is the marina were taking advantage of market conditions and charging more for a residential mooring. I doubt the others who just store a holiday boat there pay anything like as much as £400 per month. (I pay substantially less than that for the whole summer season to keep my boat on a pontoon in a harbour for 6 months)

It seems normal etiquette for canal and river boats to discharge their grey water into the waterway directly, but not their toilet waste, that goes into a holding tank and needs a regular pump put, or a more basic arrangement is use a porta potti and you can empty it for free (well covered by your waterway licence) at an emptying point. So I would have expected him to at least have a porta potti in his bathroom.

#8 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:46 AM

Someone I know with a narrow boat has installed a saniflow type system and pumps it ashore?

Don't get the hoses mixed up!!!!

#9 DavidWright

DavidWright

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationSkye

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:26 AM

View PostTriassic, on 16 November 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

Someone I know with a narrow boat has installed a saniflow type system and pumps it ashore?
Here's someone who lives on a boat (a sea-going one that's moored for most of the year) who (along with teh rest of the 'crew') is very happy with their conversion to a composting toilet.

http://www.navitron....ic,19627.0.html

Edit: Forgot to add the link!

Edited by DavidWright, 16 November 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#10 tennentslager

tennentslager

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:43 PM

I'm in the process of fitting one of these with the fan powered by battery via PV.
Not commissioned it yet though but I'll let you know.
Btw boffins is there a smell scale..You know like the Beaufort.
Faint whiff slightest nostril twitch to eye watering instant gut churner

Attached Files

#11 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Yes
http://chemse.oxford...t/33/8/725.full