ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Exterior Tile Cladding vs Other Finishes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hirdy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

Just having a look at some options for some exterior walls for a future self build. I would like some look of stone on certain areas of the house to break up render and possible wood cladding. Also hope to use it for garden and driveway walls to blend in with the house.

I have had offers of local granite from demolished buildings which seems well priced but the stones are huge and will be difficult and slow to build with so labour will be high - I'm thinking of staying clear of this option

Another option is to buy Chinese granite which I believe is made to your specified drawings with no wastage and easy to build with, but is expensive.

The other option I have been looking at is to use exterior wall tiles that could be installed onto the outer blockwork wall, the price seems competitive and I think it may look good - quite contemporary but that's what I'm after. I like the look of the split face/jagged tiles giving a nice texture to a wall.

There are options to buy boxes of mixed stone which you have to puzzle together and carry out the pointing but something like this seems even better to me- they should be maintenance free?

Has anyone had experience of using these before?

#2 inchbyinch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

These are becoming far more popular and a recent show I attended there were four or five stands. It cuts down a lot on labour. A tiler could put them or some good with their hands.

Need to be installed well to look good. Can be let down at the corners if done poorly!

#3 tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

Loads of tower blocks are tiled in Hong Kong, they wear well and last a very long time, would be wary of frost damage here which is why we use bricks etc.