ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Barn - Stone Wall Holding Back Earth

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hi All

The gable end of the stone barn we have just bought holds back about 1m of earth, basically the neighbour's garden. Inside the barn, it looks dry and we have checked the plans for the site and confirmed that a French drain was put in.

That whole end of the building (above ground) has been recently rendered with cement render, that’s all going to come off, but my thoughts were if there was going to be damp below ground, that would either have made no difference or perhaps made it worse. It all looks OK.

I'm checking, but the soil looks well-drained so probably not an issue, but I’d be interested in any advice.

I’m not going to make any attempt to hold the water in by tanking or sealing in any way.

We’ll be putting up 50mm of breathable insulation/board/paint and I’ll ensure that ventilation is OK. The area will be under-floor heated.

Any do’s or don’ts before we start? we have time to change the approach if we need to.

Thanks!

#2 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Slope ground away from walls, lime is good and will help, avoid organic biodegradable insulants, no leaking gutters etc

#3 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

The land registry is months behind, but when the plot is finally registered, I will own the strip of land by the wall. Right now it is level and down to lawn. I don't want to mess with their garden unless i have to! I'm going to have to put scaffolding in their garden at some point and it's not very big!

Biodegradable insulants is a really good point... ta

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Not all tanking systems attempt to "hold the water in". There are some basement systems that allow it through the wall where it's collected and sent to drainage. They prevent it getting to the insulation/plaster.

#5 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll check that out. If we tanked to, say, 25cm above ground, the wall could still breathe, but if it got really wet it could drain as well. And I could make the drain accessible and monitor it if I was concerned.

#6 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

There are several systems available. Search for "cavity drain membranes" with/without quotes. Many look like large egg box. I gather they can be a bit expensive but I've not used them myself.

#7 Twincam

Twincam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

Ta. We won't need a pump or anything fancy and the floor is currently earth so I doubt if it will add too much cost as it all has to be done anyway, but we'll see.