Jump to content


ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Self Levelling Line Laser - Which One?


  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 wmacleod

wmacleod

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostNickfromwales, on 27 October 2015 - 11:07 PM, said:

Seems a lot of bang for the buck. How 'robust' though? I've knocked my Bosch off its mag base a few times from shoulder / waist height and it shrugs it off. A very good bit of kit.

I've never dropped it, most of the time it is used on its tripod and its a proper surveyors tripod type not camera type so it doesn't fall over very easily. It's size does work against it indoors compared to the other ones discussed here, I'll grant you that.

#22 Nos

Nos

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 01:37 PM

I have the SL version of a (Skil) its very good, three planes, outdoor use needs to be dull or dark, I use a sheet of white paper, easier to see the line, used it from footings onwards, next use will be for the stud walls. Tripod a bit flimsy, but I use my camera one instead. Nos

Edited by Nos, 28 October 2015 - 01:39 PM.


#23 vijay

vijay

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:13 PM

When buying a site level, what functions/extras are a must?

#24 joiner

joiner

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:17 PM

What sort of "site level"?

https://www.google.c... level&tbm=shop

#25 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

    Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

  • Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:08 PM

View Postjoiner, on 28 October 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

What sort of "site level"?

https://www.google.c... level&tbm=shop
:rolleyes:

#26 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

    Local Youtuber

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:29 PM

Stanley X3R.
https://www.youtube....h?v=sRVDQB_8kI4

seems pretty good but i can't a price anywhere :(

#27 wmacleod

wmacleod

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

View Postvijay, on 28 October 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

When buying a site level, what functions/extras are a must?

Assuming you are talking about 360 degree laser site level as you probably wouldn't be talking about extra functions with an optical level - self leveling, proper tripod (camera type ones not suitable), laser receiver and staff fall into the "must" category. Glasses, laser target, remote control all came with mine and to be honest I could happily do without. The level itself gets switched on and off, flashes away finding its level first then rotates up to speed. Never needed to change the scan speed, direction or angle. Does a plumb bob line automatically as well.

Edited by joiner, 28 October 2015 - 08:39 PM.


#28 joiner

joiner

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:39 PM

There's your answer, Nick. ;)

#29 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

    Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

  • Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

In a timber frame house, and even in a regular build tbh, the tripod I found to be a pita.
When your marking off, people walk around ( including yourself ) and the line moves. Also if someone bumps the leg of the tripod you have to realign it it from a datum mark which you have to create for such eventualities so you know where to reset to.
With my beautiful Bosch, there is a wall mount bracket which can hook onto a screw or is magnetic, plus it can be raised and lowered by ~40mm up or down by turning the lockable dial on the side.
When screwed or stuck to a wall structure there is absolutely no wobble or shake and it's a far better, and more consistent, means of mounting and reliably using the laser imho.
When I'm tiling, for eg, I'll measure the tile height and set the laser up to the lowest grout line. For a 300mm tile I'll then put screws into the wall / stud every 300mm from floor to ceiling and then I can simply unhook the laser and jump it screw to screw to check each grout line as I'm going. With a laser on a tripod, between cranking it up and down, and it moving with my own foot traffic plus others, I'd end up drop kicking it out of the window. I've had one, and kept the tripod as it was a very good one that came with my first rotary laser that I shouldn't have got but nagged for ( manager special nudge nudge ) and I'd NEVER go back to a fixed rotary laser as it's not universal enough for me.
Given the multitude of different tasks to undertake in an entire build, I'd consider buying a machine that'll serve you best, and a rotary laser can't mark up a stud partition like my Bosch can. Kind of critical if you've got a house full of stud walls to build :)
Regards, Nick.

Edited by joiner, 28 October 2015 - 10:41 PM.


#30 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

    Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

  • Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

View Postjoiner, on 28 October 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

There's your answer, Nick. ;)
:)
Match point
:D

#31 wmacleod

wmacleod

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 28 October 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

Given the multitude of different tasks to undertake in an entire build, I'd consider buying a machine that'll serve you best, and a rotary laser can't mark up a stud partition like my Bosch can. Kind of critical if you've got a house full of stud walks to build :)

Mine does, it does the plumb bob automatically, but I take your point, the rotaries are bigger and not so convenient for working indoors perhaps as a light thing you can easily screw to the wall. One of the reasons I was going on about the tripod is I had a very nasty 360 level which had a camera type tripod that although it looked OK and I used it initially with my later good 360 it would wobble enough that the level was detecting out of balance and continually trying to reset. Never had this problem when I upgraded to a proper surveyors tripod. The only way to solve it is to get one of both types :D

#32 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

    Local Youtuber

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:10 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 28 October 2015 - 09:29 PM, said:

In a timber frame house, and even in a regular build tbh, the tripod I found to be a pita.
When your marking off, people walk around ( including yourself ) and the line moves. Also if someone bumps the leg of the tripod you have to realign it it from a datum mark which you have to create for such eventualities so you know where to reset to.
With my beautiful Bosch, there is a wall mount bracket which can hook onto a screw or is magnetic, plus it can be raised and lowered by ~40mm up or down by turning the lockable dial on the side.
When screwed or stuck to a wall structure there is absolutely no wobble or shake and it's a far better, and more consistent, means of mounting and reliably using the laser imho.
When I'm tiling, for eg, I'll measure the tile height and set the laser up to the lowest grout line. For a 300mm tile I'll then put screws into the wall / stud every 300mm from floor to ceiling and then I can simply unhook the laser and jump it screw to screw to check each grout line as I'm going. With a laser on a tripod, between cranking it up and down, and it moving with my own foot traffic plus others, I'd end up drop kicking it out of the window. I've had one, and kept the tripod as it was a very good one that came with my first rotary laser that I shouldn't have got but nagged for ( manager special nudge nudge ) and I'd NEVER go back to a fixed rotary laser as it's not universal enough for me.
Given the multitude of different tasks to undertake in an entire build, I'd consider buying a machine that'll serve you best, and a rotary laser can't mark up a stud partition like my Bosch can. Kind of critical if you've got a house full of stud walks to build :)
Regards, Nick.

hang an old saw blade on your screw and you've suddenly increased your +- 40mm ;)

#33 joiner

joiner

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:44 PM

:huh: Anybody who's working to tolerances of +/- 40mm is pushing their luck anyway. Anyone who needs to increase tolerance above +/- 40mm is taking the piss. :o

(But I know what you mean. ;) )

#34 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

    Local Youtuber

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:57 PM

View Postjoiner, on 28 October 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

:huh: Anybody who's working to tolerances of +/- 40mm is pushing their luck anyway. Anyone who needs to increase tolerance above +/- 40mm is taking the piss. :o

(But I know what you mean. ;) )

Attached File  images-5.jpeg   9.59K   18 downloads
this is my kind of tolerance :D

#35 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

    Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

  • Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:40 PM

View PostConstructionChannel, on 28 October 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

hang an old saw blade on your screw and you've suddenly increased your +- 40mm
It's a bit too heavy and leans forward with a saw blade :(. I would use a length of flat bar, but that's a suicide mission with a ( average ) £2k shower enclosure and ~ £500 basin / ~£500 WC in the same room and that falling over causing enough damage to bankrupt me ! Tbh, just having the bloody 6' level in there has me on pins. Screws will do me fine but the lasers mag mount will actually hold on skim beads behind plaster :) Great for a quick line out when surveying etc.

View Postjoiner, on 28 October 2015 - 10:44 PM, said:

Anybody who's working to tolerances of +/- 40mm is pushing their luck anyway. Anyone who needs to increase tolerance above +/- 40mm is taking the piss. :o

(But I know what you mean. ;) )
The + / - ~40mm comes in handy when you want to move up or down to set lines close together.

Attached File  image.jpg   62.7K   6 downloads

When doing a feature tile as a border and the punter wants pin stripes above and below it's very easy, over those 4 grout lines, to be a mil or mil and a half out. When your using 2mm spacers as shown in that pic it's nice to be able to quickly look around the room to check the bottom line is spot on and then simply wind up to the next grout line to check all's well up top too before mixing for the next courses. The laser lights up the spacers really well so you can see straight away if any are high or low and adjust accordingly.
This is where a good laser comes into it's own as I can tile two opposite ends / corners of a bathroom ( if it means I can crack on that way ) and they'll still meet in the corners without even half a mil difference.
PS, for any times I need to increase tolerances over 40mm then there's wide joint grout :lol:
Regards, nick.

#36 joiner

joiner

    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:48 AM

:D :D :D That's when the adjustable legs on the tripod come in handy. ;)

#37 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

    Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

  • Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:31 AM

Maybe so, ( if it didn't take up half the available floor space in the average size bathroom ;) ;) ).
:o

#38 Nos

Nos

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

I think we are talking about different types of laser, there is the pro type, sturdy tripod 360 Degree sweep, used from a datum point for plotting out footings, depths etc and the none pro type they just project a forward beam either vertical or horizontal or both, mainly used inside, but can be used outside with limitations, correct me if I am wrong. B)

#39 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

    Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

  • Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:59 AM

The Bosch 3-line does a 360o static line on x,y, and z plains.
I've used it outdoors on a sunny day and over about 10m away I can still use the rose glasses and a piece of white paper and ( just about ) find the line.
Check out the link I posted.
;)

#40 CC45

CC45

    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationShropshire

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hi all,

Bought the Dewalt DW088K - been using it for gutters - get levels set after dark - works well.

Thanks for the advice.

CC