ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Anybody Got Any Views / Knowledge Of The Active House Specification?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikesharp01

mikesharp01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Spoke to a German friend over the weekend who told me about "active house" - move over passive house here comes 'active house'. I did glance at the concept in 2014 but wrongly assumed, and instantly dismissed, that it meant a house that had so much technology that it maximised ts efficiency and decided to go with passive house for our new build. Have read the specification document, here, and it seems not to damage the passive house ideal for the most part but adds another dimension to 'seeing' the design and specification of the build using a radar map and a set of mainly quantitative result questions. Is there any other knowledge or experience of this standard among the fellowship of the ebuild.co.uk?

Mike

#2 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

http://www.thesunday...dard-2015_12_06

And sorry Damon...

http://www.dailymail...r-polluted.html

Edited by joiner, 06 December 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#3 mikesharp01

mikesharp01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:32 PM

Cannot get my head around active house thinking. Did a load of work on trying to understand it in September / October (even tried to start a conversation here) both technologically (not hard) and commercially - why are the people behind it pushing it so hard - presumably because they think that they can win this VHS / BETAMAX type battle but I wonder if it is as simple as this. Our friends in Germany reiterate that it is kicking up something of a storm over there but I am not sure why. Can anybody tell me?

#4 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

It looks like a straight forward approach to improving the efficiency of a home. Here in the UK the starting point should be to ensure that as a minimum every home being built meets building standards. Then we need to start raising standards to best in class, it is no longer acceptable for the big 8 house builders to set the standards themselves as they are too low.