ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Grand Designs 14Th October 2015 - Marriage Guidance

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

I am another person from that other place who also supported Jeremy over his unfair treatment.:). Their loss in my book.

#42 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:38 AM

View Postdeclan52, on 19 October 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

Most important thing is to accept that things will go wrong, delivery lorries will always get lost and you will be phoning all the trades to make sure they are still available on the day you need them. Have a laugh when the occasion arises and dont get to stressed when shat happens.

Very good advice!

We'd just had the drive laid when the kitchen delivery turned up, in a truck too big for the drive, with the driver getting lost (the company, like many, had ignored my stipulation that it had to be a small truck and ignored my directions given to them to get to the site). I ended up driving out to help the truck decouple his trailer and leave it a lay by a mile or so away, then gave him directions to the house and told him we'd need to unload at the roadside, as the drive was newly laid and wouldn't take his big truck.

The driver (like many others) ignored my instructions and drove ahead of me, driving straigt into the drive, over the new kerb, smashing a lot of it up. He then flung the doors open wide and dinged the dry verge on the house roof, dropped one of the kitchen units on the drive, smashed the rear light of the electricians van with another bit of the kitchen he dropped and was generally bloody useless. The chap that laid our drive was there, doing some other work, and looked fit to explode. He couldn't understand why I wasn't yelling at the driver.

I took the view that yelling at the driver was pointless, I was better off just trying to minimise any further damage, take a load of photos and get the bloke off site as quickly as possible. The kitchen company paid for all the damage (probably cost them a fair bit more than their profit on the kitchen), our drive chap got paid to re-lay part of the drive and kerb, the electrician got a new light fitted to his van and our roofers got half a day's extra work repairing the roof damage. We also had some replacement units and parts for the kitchen.

All told some of the people who's work I valued got paid more and we got an undamaged kitchen, so yelling at the driver would just have raised my blood pressure for no good reason.

The kitchen truck driver wasn't the worst we had, either. For sheer stupidity and recklessness the award goes to the concrete truck drivers....................

Edited by jsharris, 19 October 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#43 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PostFallingditch, on 19 October 2015 - 07:29 AM, said:

I recorded it. I then freeze framed on the mounts - Renusol it said.

Haven't been able to identify the manufactured of roof covering made from 'recycled bottle tops' mind you ...

Think they are IKOSlate looking at them - not cheap....

#44 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

We have Ikoslate. It was about the same price as Spanish slate, but there was very little wastage (which made it cheaper than slate) and it was fitted a lot quicker (we saved around 20% of the labour over using slate).

It's also a lot lighter, and the way it is secured makes it a more resistant to high winds, so overall I'm impressed with it.

#45 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

"The kitchen truck driver wasn't the worst we had, either. For sheer stupidity and recklessness the award goes to the concrete truck drivers............"

Yup. Just returned from the local Taylor Wimpey site following complaints of blocked drives, broken kerbs and churned-up pavement tarmac because instead of driving onto site and turning on the hard-standing provided by TW for lorries to turn on so that they can reverse further onto the site, the ready-mix guys are choosing to turn on the neighbouring estate road and reverse through the site entrance, regardless of the risk. They're also speeding past the 20mph signs that TW put on the approaches to the primary school entrance.

#46 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

One of our concrete delivery lorries when he finished said "can I get turned down the road" to which I replied "the bin lorry turns down there every week so I would think so"

Then instead of driving to the end of the road and turning in the hammerhead, he drove onto next doors gravel drive and did a 33 point turn to turn around there. Me and 2 of the builders then spent half an hour raking his drive flat again so the neighbour would never know how dumb the driver was.

All the driver said was "the bin lorry must be shorter than I am".

#47 TerryE

TerryE

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationSouth Northants

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

I think that I've got three major advantages over many self builders:
  • Jan and I do most of the work as a partnership. She's not as physically strong as me and hasn't got an engineering background, but has other strengths which complement mine so we make a good partnership. As I said to her the other day, I think that we're the only couple who both post and participate on this forum.
  • We're retired but still physically very fit so we can be on site and work as required. Whilst we've never built a house before we pretty much gutted and rebuilt our current one so we have a lot of useful skills and experience.
  • Our house is immediately next to the plot and we've no pressure to complete or move out of our farmhouse. We've come to realise that trying to force timescales is just not worth the additional stress and hassle.
Even so building your own house is still bloody stressful.

Edited by TerryE, 19 October 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#48 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

My wife has done the bulk of the project managing, nearly all of the buying (all the local builders' merchants know her by name), and made most of the day to day onsite decisions. She was also driving a dumper around on the weekend while we cleared up the site.

I've taken responsibility in the more technical areas, like the ASHP, water cylinder, MVHR, lighting, home automation and so on.

We both contributed to the original design of the house and are sharing decorating input.

We've basically shared the load throughout. It's been the most stressful thing either of us has ever done (by a LONG way), but I think it's made our relationship stronger.

Jack

#49 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:24 PM

Watched this last night. I have a friend a bit like that bloke - especially the concrete pouring bit. Are all Eds like that? Fair play, they got cracking but where did all the money come from?

#50 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

View Postjoiner, on 18 October 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Daiking said above: "Onto the wider subject, I feel like an imposter here. Only building an extension not a house, not self building as we have a builder and we are about as far from green/ebuilding as you can get."

I've said before that the forum has evolved into one that gives the impression that it is all about self-build from the ground up, and moreover one that is wholly concerned with "green" building.

Despite the name, it never used to be that way and actually remains one concerned with ALL types of construction and all types of buildings, whether new build, conservation/restoration, or extension - or just upgrade in terms of energy performance.

When I came back to this forum, after leaving a certain other forum because of the way it had treated Jeremy (and my comments concerning that whole episode getting me publicly threatened with expulsion), I was eventually asked to join the existing moderating team on here and after my (otherwise rewarding) experience of the other place I suggested to Admin that he might consider adding a whole new section to make this place more amenable to a few others in that other place who were as mightily pissed off as I was about the way Jeremy had been treated. David agreed and hence the 'Environmental, Alternative and Green Building Methods' section was born.

Jeremy also returned to this place and Steamy Tea and Damon started dipping in and largely as a result of their invaluable contributions the new section started to develop.

So, if you want to knock out the chimney breast in your money pit of an energy-wasting single-brick-walled Victorian workman's cottage without killing either yourself or a neighbour, you're still as welcome as you ever were.

;)

As a noob, I don't know the full history but is often alluded to and thanks, I'll keep posting stupid questions long after I've out-stayed my welcome.