ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Er, Printing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hi Steamy,
You'd need to incorporate that statement in the Print Style Sheet (and then upload it to the server)

thus;

media="screen, print"

html, body {
  • background: #f5f5f5 !important;
  • background-color: #f5f5f5 !important;
  • color: #5a5a5a;
}

#ads{
display: none;
}

}

The script has to be uploaded and run on the server.

Within the CSS hierarchy, you could write your own style sheet and run it locally, so that every time you want to print a page, the local instructions (local style sheet) would strip out any blocks of text or graphics that you don't want.

I would respectfully recommend that the mods consider having a Print CSS which allowed those readers who feel happier with printed content to do just that. Online resources are 25% more difficult to read than their print equivalent. I venture to guess that our readership age profile tends towards the later years.

The coding involved is trivial. The value added, large.

#22 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:19 AM

It's not something the mods here can do. We're limited to being able to edit and delete spam and that's about it. We can't remove members or tamper with the code that the forum runs on, only David the forum owner (Admin) can do that.

#23 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

I emailed Admin first thing this morning about this. ;)

(The PM system wasn't working.)

#24 admin

admin

Fall Guy

• Administrators
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

First of all, thank you to everyone for raising this issue and contributing to this thread.

I'm afraid that I can't resolve this issue at present. Although I have the ability to undertake some of the necessary code changes, I am loathe to do it to the core base code of ebuild. This site is built on commercial software consisting of 100+ interacting programmes, CSS files etc. These have to be updated on a fairly regular basis for security reasons etc. If I alter the base code of any of the underlying files, I effectively void my software licence, which may cause me significant problems in the future with software updates and support requests.

Therefore I in effect require a 'stand-alone' solution which interacts with the existing software but doesn't alter the base code. This is not so simple, and I haven't found a solution yet. I may consider getting a bespoke solution developed, but not for the current ebuild software as I am considering a major software overhaul within 12-18 months.

So I will take this printing issue into account when considering any future software change but there are no guarantees that I will find a solution and it won't be a quick fix.

Sorry to disappoint users.