ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Er, Printing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Fallingditch

Fallingditch

• Member Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNE Essex

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

I have to admit that I find it much easier to assimilate detailed technical information when I am reading from the printed page (as opposed to a computer monitor).

Sometimes, Topics run to many, many pages.

Is it possible to press one key and print out an entire Topic across all replies spanning many pages?

Perhaps the print this topic key has been removed :o ?

#2 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:29 PM

No, as far as I know.

You could copy and paste into a new text or Word document.

I think it is more to do with the way that webpages work, more than how printers works.

#3 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:52 PM

Simple answer is, as Steamy says, no. ;)

#4 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:55 PM

yes but only x messages at a time ;-)

You can print a page of messages using the print option on your browser which is about 15.

Or..

Print to a PDF file on your disc then print that file to the printer.

You will probably need an extra little software utility and when installed it will appear in your list of printers and you may be required to tick a box that says something like Print to File or Print to Disk

Can't search for one to recommend from here, but look for Print to PDF.

I haven't checked whether the forum is capable of printing out a whole topic at once, but you can print a page of messages at once.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 07 October 2015 - 03:56 PM.

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 07 October 2015 - 03:56 PM

Simple answer, as Steamy says, is no. ;)

#6 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

This is a web page displayed on a computer screen.

I have never understood why it is beyond the whit of man to be able to print a web page onto a piece of paper and get a printout that shows exactly what you see on your screen. Certainly the "print" function built into any web browser that I have tried seems completely incapable of performing such a seemingly simple task.

The worst offender being when trying to print a map you have displayed on your screen, what appears on paper is a different size and shape and misses out bits you can see on the screen and even has the uncanny ability to include other bits that you can't see on your screen.

#7 Fallingditch

Fallingditch

• Member Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNE Essex

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

Thanks everybody. Was pretty much aware of the workarounds ... was just hoping there was a shortcut somewhere :(

#8 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 07 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

Years ago I had a bit of free software (can't find it now, and suspect it's on an old "dead" PC) that could make a perfect copy of a web forum as a collection of files in a whole stack of folders, and from that it was fairly easy to print out web pages properly.

I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but I used it around 10 years ago to make a complete copy of a forum that was going to disappear because of a massive upgrade to the forum software (for some reason all the old posts either couldn't be copied to the new software, or the chap running it didn't know how to do it!). I was able to use this as a reference for a long time afterwards. The only downside that I remember was that it took ages, I recall leaving the PC on overnight whilst it copied every single page on the forum, with all the attachments, and saved them as a fully functional local copy on the PC's drive, that could be opened with a browser and worked just like being online, but a lot faster. I do recall that it was a complex business, as what you see on a forum screen is made up from separately stored elements, in different file directories, with some form of database indexing system that pulls all the right bits together whenever you click on something.

I wish I could find the bit of software again, if only because it made printing web pages easy, and removed the common problems that Dave has described above (which make some web pages pretty much impossible to print).

There is definitely a way to make web pages print properly, as some web sites manage it, notably my online banking site, which has a "print this page" button that prints a very nicely formatted page, that fits the paper size and intelligently handles page boundaries.

I may have a dig around later and see if I can find the bit of software I used years ago, as they may well be a way to print whole sections of this, and other, forums off easily. I'd also quite like to make a local copy of my blog on here, as it'd be useful to have quick access to bits in it (especially attachments) when working on a slow connection, plus I may well tidy it up and try and get it into a decent printable format, as I know one or two people have asked for this.

Edited by jsharris, 07 October 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#9 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

View Postjsharris, on 07 October 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

I wish I could find the bit of software again, if only because it made printing web pages easy, and removed the common problems that Dave has described above (which make some web pages pretty much impossible to print).

Was it https://www.httrack.com/

#10 Fallingditch

Fallingditch

• Member Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNE Essex

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:58 PM

View Postjsharris, on 07 October 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

get it into a decent printable format, as I know one or two people have asked for this.
Ahem ... well I just printed every bloody page off the blog as it was ! ... layout wasn't actually too bad tbh ... took me a while and a lot of button pressing though ... now sits on a folder marked 'Jeremy' alongside all the rest of the reference material and gets looked at from time to time LOL

There is a system called Instapaper which I use and does actually remove all the rubbish found on web pages - but its still only one page at a time though.

Some 'Forum software' does provide functionality ro print entire topic. (For example on http://www.railforum...ad.php?t=120801 under Thread Tools there is Show Printable Version (and on option to 'show 50 posts from this thread on one page'. Its powered by vBulletin, apparently.

Edited by Fallingditch, 07 October 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#11 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

View Postwmacleod, on 07 October 2015 - 06:36 PM, said:

It may well have been, thanks, the name seems familiar. I my explore it and see if it still formats pages better for printing from the copied website.

#12 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

WedWhacker can follow links, but so does DownThemAll, an add on for Firefox.

Thing is you don't want to just copy the webpage, you only want to copy the interesting bits.
It may be possible to knock something up in Excel (which can import data from parts of webpages.

I still like the use of Tables in webpages, they can be formatted to print out nicely.

On a slightly different note, what happens if you never click the Accept Cookies and just carry on browsing. Does eBuild still send them and collect data?

Edited by SteamyTea, 07 October 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#13 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

I use a tablet and have the facility to switch between the PC, Tablet or Mobile views. If I go to the mobile view it removes all the non-essential bits and just displays the text elements of the whole discussion threads. The resulting view is then ideal for printing.

Edited by joiner, 08 October 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#14 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

Thinking, the other system I sometimes use is Evernote.

That clips web pages you need to a personal website, which is then searchable.

Checking my account I have all sorts of forum threads there. Not sure about the printing, but useful for preservation, relocating, and reference.

Ferdinand

#15 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 08 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostTriassic, on 08 October 2015 - 05:40 AM, said:

I use a tablet and have the facility to switch between the PC, Tablet or Mobile views. If I go to the mobile view it removes all the non-essential bits and just displays the text elements of the whole discussion threads. The resulting view is then ideal for printing.
^ This helps.

also I have been known to copy and paste each page of a thread into a single document this way to get them all together.

#16 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

A collate and print/save option would be a good idea though. Can't be that hard for someone to sort out.

#17 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:59 PM

POPULAR

OK, folks. Here's the answer. It is possible to print out a web page formatted as for paper. The code base for doing that has been around for ages, and is well understood.

Web pages are displayed by separating content from format. The content is written by us, and the way it displayed is formatted using code called CSS (well mostly) or Cascading Style Sheet.

A quick look at the underlying code for this site shows that a Print Style Sheet (as opposed to screen, or braille, or projector and many others) has been already been defined thus;

media="screen, print"

html, body {
  • background: #f5f5f5 !important;
  • background-color: #f5f5f5 !important;
  • color: #5a5a5a;

The code is deliberately human readable. There are a few other style statements affecting things like bulleted lists and so on, but nothing much which, for clarity, I have not included.

Because of the separation of style from content, it is very very easy and quick to add some simple statements which, for print, delete extraneous stuff (like copies of the adverts).

If the end-in-mind is to print an entire topic while at the same time stripping out content irrelevant to the paper-based reader (why include adverts when hyperlinks cannot work on paper ?) then the services of a half-way decent undergraduate coder would be more than sufficient and so, cheap.

#18 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

Quiet day, Ian? :)

#19 recoveringacademic

recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

. advert {
display: none;
}

That's all that's required.

Ian

#20 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

Where do you have to type that in then to make it work?