ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Timber Cladding - Type / Stain

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

I clad an outbuilding in green oak stained with Ronseal General Purpose Wood preserver (light oak) The oak boards shrank about 12-15mm in length but I was prepared for that and inserted strips of breather membrane behind joints to improve waterproofness. I used stainless steel nails and pre drilled holes. Took ages but I was working alone and had to support the planks one end with ropes while I worked on the other end. Would be way easier with two people.

The exposed west face needs staining every 18 months or it would fade/go silver quickly. The east face is in shade and has a tendency to go black in places unless I re-stain that regularly as well. The south face is sheltered by overhan looks good. Overall I'm pleased.

I apply the Ronseal using a cheap Hoseloc pump up plant sprayer. Not designed to spray spirit but if cleaned out it survives ok and ends up about the same cost as brushes with much less mess. I even spray the window frames (also oak) with it then clean off the glass with white spirit.

My garage is softwood clad stained with "barn black". That's very very low maintenance by comparison to the oak. Only needs doing every 5 years or so.

Edited by temp, 09 October 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#22 harryracer

harryracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:18 AM

Mikey, we have just received some samples of the marley cedral which look great, have you installed yours yet? It would be good to see these in use.
Thanks.
Richard

#23 harryracer

harryracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi Temp, 5 yeas is a good time between stains. Where did you get your stain from in barn black?

#24 Mikey1980

Mikey1980

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hi Richard, its not up yet, we are hoping MBC will be able to start building in the next few months, we have just been very detailed in everything so we can get going as quickly as possible and make up for the delay as planning has caused us a number of delays.

#25 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Where did you get your stain from in barn black?

The original timber came pretreated with unknown brand. I think we used Birdbrand to recoat.

#26 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

The new cement boards have the colour right through them so they should never need a repaint

I have cedar cladding and it looks lovely when its done but is quite soft so shows every mark

#27 harryracer

harryracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi, yes we are a bit ahead of ourselves with planning the project.
We hadn't wanted to start till easter because we were initially going to use timber and I wanted to be building when there was less likely for the timber to expand rapidly in warmer weather. Now that we are nearly decided on the cement based cladding it doesn't matter. I did have to book the builder 10 months in advance though, bringing it forwards an impossibility. I hope to add project photos once we start.

#28 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

Whats the price comparison between say larch or cedar and Marley Cedral ?

#29 Mikey1980

Mikey1980

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

I don't know what the exact difference is as we have only looked at Marley, but for the supply and install of 199m2 of Cedral weatherboard including all the window reveals etc we have been quited £13k

#30 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

View PostMikey1980, on 12 October 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

I don't know what the exact difference is as we have only looked at Marley, but for the supply and install of 199m2 of Cedral weatherboard including all the window reveals etc we have been quited £13k

And, just by way of contrast, we had around 260m2 of 20mm thick, average 220mm wide, waney edge larch, supplied and fitted, including fastenings, corner posts and window door reveals, for ~ £6,500.

#31 Mikey1980

Mikey1980

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:46 PM

I found a material quote.  

Cedral Weatherboard – 313 planks @ £10.50 per length (3600 x 190mm)

Touch up Paint – 4 tubs @ £20.00 per 0.5L Tub

Ring Shank Nails – 2,817 nails @ £18.99 per 500 bag

Asymmetric Ext Profile – 21 lengths @ £24.13 per 3m length

Connection Profile – 32 lengths @ £15.80 per 3m length

Symmetric Ext. Profile – 7 lengths @ £28.99 per 3m length

Internal Profile - 8 lengths @ £19.86 per 3m length

Start Profile – 32 lengths @ £16.60 per 3m length

Perforated Enclosures 40 x 30 x 2.5mm – 65 lengths @ £10.88 per 2.5mm length

#32 harryracer

harryracer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

I have only looked at the supply of this material in contrast to syberian larch and 40m2 comes out at under £1k, about the same in cost. Will try and probably fix it myself.

#33 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

Re the nails - perhaps look at nails with a textured head. I used SS plain head and the heads show up rather a lot when the sun is on them.