ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Isle Of Wight Grand Designs - 23rd September 2015

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

I think this is the second or third GD I've seen where 99% of the extravagance and disregard for the cost came from the partner that wasn't going to have to pay for it.

It was this aspect more than any other that riled me a bit, as well as the gross waste in paying over the top for everything (for no good reason that I could see) whilst building a massively expensive house and not even bothering to use an architect (the designer, who's been on GD before with his own project, is an architectural technician).

My personal view is that if one partner want, say, a £20k kitchen, then that partner should pay for it......................

#22 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

View Postbitpipe, on 30 September 2015 - 07:59 PM, said:

need something to flush the EPS beads out of my system...

New EPS beads are not too bad, you can spit them out then kick yourself for not hot wire cutting. The fine EPS dust after sanding UV affected areas - that's the really horrible stuff :(

#23 AliG

AliG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

Jeremy, I am guessing you are thinking about the "Regency Manor" in Surrey in season 2. The wife just lost the plot and the husband just kept writing cheques. I wish they had done a GD Revisited on it as they ran out of money and couldn't finish.

I Googled it a few years ago, when it was repeated, and the episode is so well known people had figured out the exact house and looked at it on Google Maps. It appears they still live there and it was finished eventually.

Back to my point re insulation, the woman decided that she wanted single glazed sash windows with hand made glass as she liked the way it made the light twinkle. The heating costs must be astronomical.

Never mind a £20,000 kitchen, I am lusting after Clinton's £120,000 black anodised aluminium kitchen. Common sense of course says no. I think the finish on a kitchen should be in line with the value of the house and am constantly amazed at the kitchens I see in magazines that cost £60-100,000 for no obvious reason.

Edited by AliG, 30 September 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#24 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostAliG, on 30 September 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

Jeremy, I am guessing you are thinking about the "Regency Manor" in Surrey in season 2. The wife just lost the plot and the husband just kept writing cheques. I wish they had done a GD Revisited on it as they ran out of money and couldn't finish.

That's in Compton Way near Farnham in Surrey: https://www.google.c...Surrey GU10 1QY

If they're still there, they probably haven't lost any money. My parents in law have friends that live on the same road and it's full of massive houses. Prices have apparently gone crazy over the last few years.

I only saw the last 10 mins of that one but she looked... challenging.

Jack

#25 JonoMarshall

JonoMarshall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

Watched the Isle of Wight GD last night... very excessive and risky. It's a great location but I'm not convinced they've improved their lives at all with that build. They kept stating how many friends they could have over now that they live on an island?!

Edited by JonoMarshall, 01 October 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#26 jayroc2k

jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

finally watched it today. having gone through an exhaustive process of trying to figure out build costs, it had all the hallmarks of an overly expensive house

namely
- piles foundation (lots)
- steel frames (necessary)
- multiple bespoke features
- lots of glass ( i bet they did not go to polish or czech companies)
- lots of overlapping trades
- oversized
- basement
- fancy interior (one area that economies of scale does not work on houses)
- bridge loan financing (1% arrangement fee, 1% per month and 1% exit fee)

One thing a structural engines told me, to keep costs done on a self managed projects, they must be clean separation of trades such that you can get multiple quotes for a specific job with little overlap (e.g. trade A starts but has to stop mid way to allow trade B and C doe some stuff then come back to finish)

my partner seems to think the man must have neglected the wife, perhaps even cheated just before his near death as he seems to be paying for her expensive adventure as a way to make up for something (they lived modestly until that point). Along the lines of making a partner pay if they have been absent (alternative to divorce). Jokes aside, she completely lost sight of what was necessary,

Maybe he has a huge life insurance should the unexpected happen!

#27 jayroc2k

jayroc2k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:03 PM

on a separate note, it would make for a great B&B!

#28 Woodgnome

Woodgnome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

I watched the original GD where Lincoln did his bungalow with the burnt larch Cladding, (which I had been wanting on a part of my build since I saw the episode), and the latest one the thread is about.
I have to say that although he isnt an architect, I think he delivered 2 very cool homes.
As with all GD episodes, I wish they would show a bit more detail about the build.
There was an ( old I think) GD Australia episode on the other night. Builder doing his own house, cost a lot more than he thought, but it was one of the best I've seen.

Edited by Woodgnome, 04 October 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#29 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Interesting stuff.

I think he should perhaps have either used an Architect not an Architectural Designer, or had a persnickety swine of a Project Manager working alongside the very creative Lincoln Miles. I had the cost down as 1.7m looking at the first plan, and I suspect a lot of cash was dumped into the hole in the ground. Perhaps tight management could have saved 20% with only a loss of 2-5% of utility.

The house Miles did before was the Tree House - the one with Yoghurt on the Tower, which I think they sold within a couple of years for double what the house plus the build cost, that is roughly a 400-500k profit. So the guy knows what he is doing.

I'm also thinking that that area of the IoW is a happy hunting ground for single property developers for the next 10-20 years.

Ferdinand

#30 DavidFrancis

DavidFrancis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSouth-west Lancashire

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

According to Rightmove, Miles sold his house last year for 900k, but that was eight years after he bought it for 270k.

#31 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

So it was on the market for over a year.

Not bad for a time from 2006 to 2014 though, even with a 200k investment.

Ferdinand

#32 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

But........... the Isle of Wight is a very weird place, it's like a timewarp. I have relatives that live there and when we were plot hunting we went over there for a week, as there looked to be a fair few reasonably priced plots and renovation prospects. After a couple of days we realised it was just too strange a place to contemplate moving to.

If anyone's tempted, then I'd suggest renting a place over there for a time to see whether they could cope with the place. Health care is dire, as are public services in general, and it's a bit like going back a couple of decades in terms of the way of life - not somewhere I could live, despite having had many happy holidays there as a child.

#33 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:54 AM

Small Island Syndrome. We had it when we lived in the West Indies.
Can be very serious and lead to all sorts of social problems, mainly alcohol and infidelity, so there is an upside for some B)

Possibly accounts for no one having to take the keys out of their car ignition.

Edited by SteamyTea, 07 October 2015 - 08:55 AM.