ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Restoring Oak Beams

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Thingamajig

Thingamajig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hi all,I have some old oak beams in my house,they have been covered up and by the looks of them have never been exposed,there is no patina on them just stains from the old lath and plaster.
After sanding a small area with an orbital they have come up like new which is a bit disappointing but never mind,although there is no patina to restore they still have that lovely honey colour.
The orbital sander is pretty useless and not fit for the job so I'm thinking of getting a belt sander but obviously there is a power to weight ratio,ie I am going to be up a ladder using it upside down so something around the 4kg mark will have to do.
My question is this the right way to go about this and has anybody got any experience of sanding down beams and do's and don'ts.
Also any belt sander recommendations,I know you get what you pay for so was thinking around the £150 mark tops.

Thanks for your pearls

Adam

#2 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

I'm biased as I have a "blue" toolbox apart from my Multimaster, but this is a decent price and a decent unit. Weighs in at 2.6kg so within your budget.

I would start off with an 80 grit at most as getting the scratches out from anything coarser is a pain...

http://www.axminster...RKctBoCN7zw_wcB

#3 Thingamajig

Thingamajig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Peter.I was just looking at this sander on another site and I am a fan of the blue myself.
Have/do you use this,is it powerful enough,the beams are like concrete?

#4 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:25 PM

Its 650w and trade rated with a 3 year warranty .... Its the abrasive belts that are the issue, I only buy decent Makita ones or Axminster own brand as otherwise they just clog.

#5 Thingamajig

Thingamajig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

Cheers,I see they sell them in Wickes,I shall go and have a look at one tomorrow.

#6 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 28 September 2015 - 10:03 PM

We lightly sand blasted them, messy but gave a fabulous finish highlighting the grain and cleaning up nice

#7 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:16 PM

sand blasting is definitely the best for finish and ease.
how may beams are you planing to do and how hard would it be to protect from the rest of the house?

#8 Thingamajig

Thingamajig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

I've got two large beams to do and others throughout the house but them rooms can be done as and when so decided to buy the Makita belt sander Peter recommended,I looked at hiring a sandblaster but that was £180 p/day so for me the sander is the better option and I get to keep it which will come in handy for the rest of the house.
Cheers for the advice everyone,I'll let you know how I get on and post some before and after pics.

Edited by Thingamajig, 29 September 2015 - 05:40 PM.