ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Project Starting

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostTrw144, on 12 April 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

It was going well, the police have been called because I removed a hedge (that the planners and highway asked me to remove). Good job I scouted it for cute little birds before attacking it with an excavator!

WHat on earth did the constabulary say?

have you reported him for wasting police time :-)

Edited by ferdinand, 12 April 2016 - 01:12 PM.

#22 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

Absolutely. Surprised the police didn't tell them to push off.

Jack

#23 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 12 April 2016 - 01:43 PM

I'm amazed the police bothered to respond, as it's completely outwith their remit, unless they get called to assist by an enforcement officer.

Some people seem to call the police for the most ludicrous reasons - perhaps they need educating on the role of the police. It would annoy the heck out of me, as we couldn't get the police to come out to deal with vandals, in one case setting fire to half a gallon of petrol they poured down the road.

#24 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:13 PM

I told you the story of when we had CID on our site. Not because of any incident on our site, but one night the builders had 2 of their vans broken into outside their houses in the next village, and CID came to our site to fingerprint the vans. I was under strict instruxtions not to touch the vans or any of their tools before CID arrived.

So nect time we can't get the plice to attend, say someone is tearing down a hedge.

#25 bitpipe

bitpipe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationBerkshire

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

A neighbour (two hedges removed) once vocally requested that I curtail a garden bonfire. Admittedly it was a weekday morning in the summer so a little thoughtless on my part but by the time he started yelling it was almost out.

His final threat was to call the police. I was going to suggest that the fire brigade would be a better bet but thought better of it.

#26 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

It is worth mentioning, on the subject of bonfires, that you do need to be quick to turn the MVHR off if a neighbour has one. It's only happened once, but the smoke got sucked straight in the MVHR intake and swiftly circulated through the whole house..................

#27 Redoctober

Redoctober

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

View Postnotnickclegg, on 12 April 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

Absolutely. Surprised the police didn't tell them to push off.

Yes as strange as it is, perhaps we shouldn't knock it. We are all to quick to moan about the lack of a Police presence these days due to the various demands on their time, and quite rightly in some cases but, in certain areas, good old fashioned Policing still exists.

As much as it may have seemed a waste of their time turning up like that - a useful chat with them about your circumstances etc may allow for a more visual presence past your plot on occasions - turn such events to your advantage !

PW.

#28 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 12 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

View PostRedoctober, on 12 April 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

As much as it may have seemed a waste of their time turning up like that - a useful chat with them about your circumstances etc may allow for a more visual presence past your plot on occasions - turn such events to your advantage !

Good attitude, I like it!

Jack

#29 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

View Postjsharris, on 12 April 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

I'm amazed the police bothered to respond, as it's completely outwith their remit, unless they get called to assist by an enforcement officer.

Some people seem to call the police for the most ludicrous reasons - perhaps they need educating on the role of the police. It would annoy the heck out of me, as we couldn't get the police to come out to deal with vandals, in one case setting fire to half a gallon of petrol they poured down the road.

I remember getting sent to all kinds of things that were civil rather than criminal matters. More often than not, the caller was using the Police as a means to have a go at their neighbour after something had not gone their way. I have to say it really annoyed me...

#30 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

Well the builder dealt with it and all seems fine although he did insist on visiting site. When the original outline planning went through (before my purchase of the site) there was one objection on the basis a hedge would be removed so I suspect it was the same person.

#31 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

Without doubt. Brace yourself for a string of complaints. Mud on the road from construction vehicles is an easy one for someone to moan about.

#32 Trw144

Trw144

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:00 PM

Well no police this week and foundations are down ready for sole plate fixing tomorrow, along with the remainder of the scaffolding.

I spent the weekend cutting back the hedges remaining so that the fence guy can make a start....

http://sendvid.com/5onc3amk