ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Should I Study To Become An Architectural Technologist?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 windsurf21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

View Postjoiner, on 17 August 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Shouldn't really say this on here because we're obliged to offer "best advice" in as objective a way as possible, but...

I can't remember doing anything for "sensible" reasons and I've either been extremely lucky or subconsciously weighed up the options based on experiences I didn't know I'd had and in (sort of) consequence come out not only unscathed but better off all round.

There is an element of risk in everything nowadays, most of it imponderable. Unless you're already living on benefits then in the knowledge that whatever you embark on will be for a finite time, knocking out the "little luxuries" soon shows them to have been precisely that and that life goes on without them. The deciding factor there is whether your family accept that argument! I've always been lucky with mine.

It's easier if you've ever been through redundancy at a certain time in your life because in those circumstances you've been denied the luxury of choice. I've been through it twice, after the second time I took it as a message that someone was trying to tell me to do what I'd been rabbitting on about for years - do a degree. So, at age 48, I battled my way through three years of trying to get a bunch of 18 year-olds to actually read a book and do some work towards that piece of paper. Part-time market research field-work to supplement the grant (remember those?) led to three years of post-degree freelance work for a variety of national and local government agencies, then woodworking (for friends initially) took off and by happy accident I found myself working full-time (often with more work than I could handle) on taking an interest in historic buildings further by working to repair and restore them.

With the exception of the degree, it's still possible to do all that if you keep your eyes, ears and (essentially) your mind open to what's around you and go with the flow. It's possible to over-think things and that's when opportunities are missed. You'll probably never be rich, but you'll have a bloody good life and die with a smile on your face because you were so busy getting on with life that you didn't see death coming.

This is very much how I've lived my life, not too much thought and just gone with the flow. When I started tiling, I just wanted to create nice things the business and subsequent earnings just 'happened'.

I've also (like yourself) been known to inform customers that they are idiots (some actually respect it) and that if they want something done that I don't agree with or know to be wrong they can get someone else to do it. I did once stand in front of a customer and actually bang my head against the wall! Never seen him again, but I did carry on as a subcontractor for the company.

#22 wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

View Postwindsurf21, on 17 August 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

I appreciate your thoughts. But as stated, money isn't really an issue, both the cost involved with studying and future earnings. I'm in a position to be able to cover the cost, tuition fees and without having to much effect on our lifestyle. I will not get into debt.
I don't really understand why it would be putting family life on hold, it's not uncommon for me to be working 14hours a day 6 days a week, so I see this improving (possibly naive?).
Maybe self taught, as Tony stated, but with an eye on a part time course if needed might be the way to go.
I am self taught in tiling, achieved everything I have from grabbing opportunities and proving myself, and pure hard (physical and mental) work, add a bit of luck (right place, right time, made the right noises) into the mix as well. It just seems to me that architectural technologist is one of those jobs that you have to have a qualification for.
Would you employ one that isn't CIAT accredited or an architect that isn't RIBA?

Why do you think you can't get CIAT accreditation without a degree? Practical experience, time served will always be valued a lot higher. I would look at their work, not what accreditations they have, good, original design work is easy to see. Please don't underestimate the costs involved in higher education, you are unlikely to get much in the way of grant support if you have cash and that cash instead of working for you and gaining interest/comfort as a nest egg will be running away rapidly which gets stressful. At the end of the day you aren't looking at a high paying career here. How long is it going to take regaining that money you have spent getting a piece of paper that won't necessarily help you get a job?

If you have money, use that to work fewer hours just now. Train yourself in CAD with a online course or two, get to a reasonable standard, go see some local architects or ATs and get a job with one of them, progress though the ranks.

Joiners right about a huge number of folk not actually working in a field relating to their degree. Degrees are probably less valuable now than they have ever been, especially in fields like you are looking into where there is still the opportunity to work in the field without an expensive paper & photo.

#23 declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

Go ahead and do it. Its obviously something that interests you so full steam ahead in my books. Life is way to short to not try things. If after doing it you find its not for you so what at least you won't have any regrets in later years.

#24 Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:50 AM

The architectural technician at our local architects started out nail gunning timber frames, he then moved into the office, converting architects drawing into a format suitable for the Timber Frame software. Having gained experience whilst working for the TF company he moved into a training place in the architects office, one of the TF companies customers, he's now doing various qualifications whilst working and getting paid.

Edited by Triassic, 17 August 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#25 windsurf21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:07 AM

Good insight here chaps.
I am being swayed back towards self taught ( it's worked for my current work), I had just dismissed the idea through lack of knowledge, I didn't think it was possible with out qualifications.
I guess it's all about finding the right person to give one a chance, the same as happened to me 10 years ago.

#26 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:26 PM

I was thinking around alternative titles for someone working in architectural design and thought: "I wonder if there is such a thing as an architectural designer?" And sure enough...

And treat yourself and the family to a day out...

Edited by joiner, 17 August 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#27 windsurf21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

Now, the jobs on that link ask for a degree, so that backs up my original thinking.