ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Architects Fees

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lesgrandepotato

Lesgrandepotato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

Just looking for a sanity check, we've found an architect we think we want to work with.
Suggested fees are £900 + Vat for Stage 0/1 Preparation and Brief, & £1000 + Vat for Stage 2 Concept design.

Its not yet clear if the work will be handled under permitted development or planning, Broad scope of ideas are here http://www.ebuild.co...s-house-update/

Does that sound reasonable? we are expecting to have about 4 beams in and an extension (with a veranda roof) of about 10/12sqm, with a garage extension of about 9sqm.

#2 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

Is that excluding structural engineers fees..?

I paid £1100 inc VAT for both Architect and SE for a 55sqm two storey extension inc fees but exc planning

#3 Lesgrandepotato

Lesgrandepotato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:07 PM

That is exclusive of SE fee's. Sounds like we are a touch on the high side, I'll have a think, they do design very nice spaces!

#4 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

Sounds OK, but bear in mind that what you need to consider is the total fee package, to completion. People have been caught out by being misled by low initial fees, only to find that they are then bound to using that architect (for IPR reasons) for the whole build, at much greater cost.

An architect managed build will be around 10 to 15% of the finished house value, as a rule of thumb, and you need to know at what stages you can get out of the architect's oversight and what rights you retain over work done to date. It isn't at all uncommon to pay an architect for planning drawings, get approval and then find that you can only use that architect's drawings if you pay them to manage the rest of the build, and that you have no rights to the drawings produced so fae.

Edited by jsharris, 02 August 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#5 PeterW

PeterW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:15 PM

Just looked again - that's design to concept only, what's the additional charges for Planning / BC plans.??

As Jeremy says, you can get into all sorts of issues with plans - I went to buy a plot at auction with full PP and the architect wanted £12k for the "plans package"..!!!

#6 Lesgrandepotato

Lesgrandepotato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

Prices back, Building regs drawings will be £950. No limitations on IPR / reuse etc. No costs for planning as we believe at this point that its permitted development, if not then we plan to use the BR drawings for PP and we'll submit. So far pre-planning has been very supportive.

Does that sound like reasonable value? Would be circa 10% of projected build cost.

#7 Rich1880

Rich1880

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Yes I think that fee seems pretty fair, there is a good amount of work that will go into getting your Building Regulation Plans passed.

#8 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

View Postjsharris, on 02 August 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

An architect managed build will be around 10 to 15% of the finished house value,

I am paying my Architect £55 an hour. If the Architect is paid by the value of the finished house he has every incentive to keep costs high and no incentive to save on construction costs

#9 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostDavidofMersea, on 22 April 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

I am paying my Architect £55 an hour. If the Architect is paid by the value of the finished house he has every incentive to keep costs high and no incentive to save on construction costs

If you pay by the hour then the architect will just drag the job out to get the same fee.

Check the fees scale and the RIBA contracting recommendation. I bet you end up paying the same as everyone else does, despite the different basis for payment, as architects are far from being well-paid, and just can't afford to drop their rates much for the amount of work they do.

I didn't add up all the time spent doing drawings, but at a guess, and excluding the re-iterations, I'd say it was between 100 and 150 hours work, and I've been using AutoCAD for 30 odd years, so had no drawings skills to acquire. That's around £5,500 to £8,250 just for all the drawings (planning, building regs, ground works, house detail, drainage, services, M&E installation drawings, landscaping detail etc).

The 10% to 15% I quoted was for an architect managed build, one where the architect was doing the design, drawings, planning, building regs, selecting contractors and managing the build so that he could provide an Architects Certificate at completion. All that time soon adds up, and I very much doubt that many architects get anything like £55 an hour, as their average salary is only something like £40k, which equates to around £20 an hour.

Edited by jsharris, 22 April 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#10 swisscheese

swisscheese

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:16 PM

Check the RIBA website, it gives a good understanding of the stages that good Architects work to, a good Architect can certainly be worth their fees and save money and add value, just choose wisely.