ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Permitted Development And Two Storey House Extension?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lionhead2014

Lionhead2014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

Hi Gang,

Would appreciate any advice/wisdom from those of you who know much about this area or have had any recent building work carried out.

I live in a relatively modern (late 70's) house in Surrey. It's a typical brick built 3-bed semi/end terrace (of 3) in a nice enough area, and we (wife baby and myself) are happy here for the foreseeable future.

Our house is a pretty similar to most of the others in our road, but the plot we're on is quite fortunate in that it's larger than most others in the road with an extra 2.2m or so (7ft) or so to the side and runs fully from front to rear boundary lines. To the side is 'common land', a grassed area that does not front a highway etc.

We currently have a small (2.5 x 5m approx) single story rear extension (as do most of the other houses) which although functional is not all that well built (single skin, flat roof) and is a little tired and will need maintenance at some point (fascia boards, felt roof), likewise in the near future I will need to think about replacing soffits/fascia boards and guttering on the main house, as well getting our driveway paved and removing an overgrown hedge on our boundary to the side to replace with a wall or fence. The house is ok for us currently, but thinking ahead for the future it would be nice to have a little more room with possibility of a growing family.

This had got me thinking about what needs doing maintenance wise on our home and what we could do at the same time.

Having only recently read up about the Permitted Development scheme, I was surprised to see that quite a number of extension possibilities could be built without requiring planning permission. And it seems that so long as you meet the criteria you can build two stories on the rear without needing planning either.

I'd like to demolish the current 2.5 x 5m extension and rebuild to go out another 0.5m to around 3m in depth and stay around 5m wide (approx full width of current house) downstairs, perhaps adding 3x3m approx as a second storey (which would keep a clear 2m from our neighbours boundary and for light etc).

This would hopefully create enough room for an additional bedroom upstairs and replace the existing flat roof on the old extension with a pitched tiled roof and better insulation etc, replacing guttering and fascias on the main house too of course.

The other possibility I'm thinking of would be for the ground floor extension to wrap around the side of the current house, creating an extra 2m approx in width on the downstairs to create a utility area freeing up some space in the kitchen etc for the washing machine, dryer, laundry stuff/storage and what have you.

Anyone done any similar work or projects recently - any tips or advice?

Not many houses in our road have had extensions like this but then again not many would be able to due to space and location (adjoining other houses/main road/next to garages etc)

I would obviously need plans etc drawn up if it looks like it would work out, but unsure of what order to proceed - ideally want to check feasibility of my ideas before I get carried away or too involved.

A house opposite and further down the road tried for planning permission for a two-storey side extension (which is not possible under Permitted Development and was also quite a bit bigger at 3.3m wide) and it was rejected - mainly due to building coming out towards main road beyond building line of other houses and other issues). Hence my preference for PD route - but I guess if we tried for planning and were refused we could still build single storey side and two storey rear under PD allowances anyway? I think you can obtain a certificate called an 'LDC' to prove that your development meets the PD guidelines to satisfy any concerns if need be.

Would ideally like to get it planned out, and maybe contract out for the shell, and arrange fitting out/finishing myself if possible.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions or experiences greatly appreciated - it's all a bit new to me, but I feel it's worth looking into as it has to be better value than moving in my area and whatever I do spend within reason should increase the value of my current home accordingly?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:55 PM

:) Welcome, and a great project for this lot to get their teeth into.

As a start, what sort of budget would you have to work to?

And it might help to post a Google Earth shot of your plot without any identifying detail on it. (Use the 'More Reply Options' down there in the right hand corner and you'll see the function to post images.)

Edited by joiner, 23 July 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#3 Lionhead2014

Lionhead2014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

For the shell only, I have around £40-50k spare - although with minimal outgoings (no debt other than mortgage) I could probably raise extra funding if need be. Also expecting a windfall of £7k shortly which could be used towards it.

I'd be happy to get the shell built and fit out as and when I can and funds allow (we'd like to replace our kitchen at a later date)

Ground floor would be 15m2 approx, 9m2 upstairs and the side return anything from 6-12m2 (depends on how big - not sure yet). So somewhere around 30m2 in total, possibly slightly more.

Will have a look on google earth when I am back home with my laptop.

Thanks for the help so far :)

#4 tony51

tony51

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

1. Your 1st post rambled too much.

2. your 1st suggestion of a full-width rear extension at ground floor, and narrower extension at 1st floor, would be PD if
not within 2m of the boundary on either side, and not nearer than 7m to the rear boundary.

3. If you wrapped round, it would not be PD, and would need planning permission.

Edited by tony51, 23 July 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

POPULAR

:) Rambling is fine. It's not compulsory, but is an option anyone is free to take up. :rolleyes:

Whether to engage or ignore is also an option. ;)

#6 Lionhead2014

Lionhead2014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

Thanks guys.

I've had a good read through the 'technical guidance' for the PD, and now understand a bit better.

Where as I could build on the side (single storey) and two storeys on the back, they must not be joined.

Ie, I could build similar to what I proposed but would need to leave a 2m x 3m gap on the corner so they are classed as two separate extensions, in order for it to be PD. Which wouldn't be ideal but maybe an option if, say, I went for planning and it got turned down? Would mean opening up the main side wall of the main house from the kitchen/dining area for the utility - I could build it a little further forward towards the front elevation instead of mainly towards the rear?

I noticed last night that an appeal has been put in by the house nearby for their two-storey side extension, so I'm interested to see how they get on with that also.

Will

Edited by Lionhead2014, 24 July 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#7 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Post the details of that neighbouring scheme, Will. The outcome of their appeal would be interesting to others in a similar situation. ;)