ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

New Extension

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yermanyonda

yermanyonda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Hi

NEW EXTENSION

I am planning to put up a new extension later in the year.

I have a month off and I want to do it myself, solely, easily in that time.

The proposed extension is within the existing building line about 3x4 metres; so planning is not an issue. i
do not want to go down that road.

Any ideas for a fast build and best place to get materials, I live in Luton, would be appreciated; to incorporate into the
design.

What the construction should be?

What should the framework be?

What should the materials should be?

The plan would be fast, cheap, solid, easy to assemble.

Please advise.

Cheers,

yermanyonda

#2 sketch3d

sketch3d

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 26 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

Then you need to keep it simple. Standard brick/block cavity wall construction. Go outside of these 'Standard' materials you will struggle to find builders to put things up and you will get more questions than you need from the building control officer.

Timber or Sips aren't the answer unless you're planning on doing a much larger construction.

To keep costs down just get what ever you can buy off the shelf, although if you're planning UPVC windows then most of the independent window merchants will order to size without any real cost penalty.

#3 yermanyonda

yermanyonda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Sketch for your input.

I was hoping to avoid the cavity wall route which would be 300 thick and possibly use some form of studwork with insulation(ideas?)
I would need to waterproof the outside of the studwork (Ideas?) and hang the whole frame on, possibly steel, RHC sections (or other?)

The roof, comprising a lightwell would, probably, be in WBP PLY (I do not like chipboard) or some other material (suggestions?)
with insulation and felt(, or other material (suggestions?).

Please advise any ideas or suggestions.

peakpilgrim