ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Help With Side Return?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 misty3891

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

Hi all,

I'm after some advice as I frankly can't see the wood for the trees!

My husband and I are considering a side return extension to add some much needed space to a very narrow kitchen/utility area.

The side return would back off our existing dining room, which in turn comes partway up the kitchen via a joining wall (I've probably not explained that well, the picture should show more when I upload it!).

We want to extend a side return out the the edge of the utility area as shown on the floor plan, but I just cannot get my head around how the existing dining room/living room and kitchen would all fit together as the dining/living space is currently open plan since we knocked a wall down when we moved in.

Would we be best replacing that wall to separate off the lounge to a more 'formal' space, and fully opening up the dining/kitchen/utility areas into one large kitchen/playroom/lounge/dining/relax space??

I'm, normally half decent at picturing this sort of thing but for some reason I just can't on this one so any advice/thoughts or recommendations would be hugely welcomed!

Thanks in advance :)

EDITED TO ADD: the extension would of course run along a party wall as we live in a Victorian terrace, the other side of which is a student rental property so, ideally, would not cause the owner an issue, but of course we have to bear agreement in mind.

Attached File  Side return doc.pdf   113.96K   26 downloads

Edited by joiner, 25 June 2015 - 04:53 AM.

#2 sketch3d

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:42 AM

Hopefully this uploaded, I have taken a screen shot of an example side return I worked on a few years ago. Typical of many Victorian terrace side return extensions creating a kitchen / breakfast room.

You will lose light into the inner reception room, so the communication doors need to be glazed.

In your case you could rationalize the space for the kitchen and dining area.

Attached File  SIngle storey side return example.png   158.07K   10 downloads

Edited by sketch3d, 25 June 2015 - 04:45 AM.

#3 Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:46 AM

If the side return is single story, you could use a couple of strategically placed roof lights to help get more natural light into the space below. If it were me I'd go for an open plan space, mind you , you do need to consider how the upper storey is to be supported.

#4 daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:54 AM

Whilst looking for ideas and also trying to get a visualisation of what we wanted from our extension, I found it useful to trawl rightmove and the online local planning portal to see what other people had done. Extensions done in the past few years tended to have their plans online.

Also, I was able to search for the plans of certain architects/building designers we were considering if they acted as planning agents to get an idea of what they produced.

A recce on foot in your local area will help identify properties with rear extensions you can follow up with a search.

Edited by daiking, 25 June 2015 - 05:55 AM.

#5 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

+1. Good advice. :)