ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Green Deal Dead

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

The Independent reports this morning that the Green Deal scheme is for the chop.

http://www.independe...e-10302126.html

I must admit to thinking that this represents good news, it always seemed to be a strange way of encouraging energy efficiency. Now if they can only do something to correct the market distortions created by RHI/MCS I would be a happier taxpayer.

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:27 AM

Does that mean the FIT scheme for solar PV is also threatened?

#3 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

Not directly - the Green deal is a separate pot of cash - but I would expect the FIT rate for new installs to reduce at an accelerated rate. You can already see this happening in Northern Ireland where the FIT equivalent will halve in the next 18 months.

#4 tonyshouse

tonyshouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 07 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

The green deal was always dead, the interest rate was far too high and attachment of debt was unworkable.

#5 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

NAO report into the Green Deal and Energy Company Obligation

http://www.designing...pany_Obligation

The NAO report is a damning one, concluding that the Green Deal did not achieve value for money, that it cost taxpayers £240 million,and that it had not generated any additional energy savings. This, it suggested was because the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)'s design and implementation of the scheme failed to persuade householders that energy efficiency measures were worth paying for. Only 1% of the measures installed through the schemes were funded with a Green Deal loan.

It also found that whilst energy suppliers had met their ECO obligations for saving carbon dioxide and reducing bills, the design of the scheme to support the Green Deal had added to the costs of meeting those obligations, which had reduced the value for money of the ECO. However, they were unable to determine by how much.

Although the target of improving 1 million homes with the schemes had been achieved, NAO suggested that this was not a direct indicator of progress against the objective of reducing carbon dioxide emissions because of the different amounts of CO2 saved by different types of energy-efficiency measures.
In addition, because the schemes had initially focussed on harder-to-treat homes, they had saved substantially less CO2 than previous supplier obligations. The projected 24 megatonnes of CO2 savings are only around 30% of what the previous schemes achieved.

#6 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

I know a lot of landlords who have abused this system which is disgusting.
Get the tennant to apply, get a boiler, then move the tenant and do it again, as its against the property not the person in it. :angry:
One L/L I work ( ed ) for has had at least 5 boilers done for free this way and is a millionaire on paper.
Wtf.
:unsure:

Edited by Nickfromwales, 15 April 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#7 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

Was a case of 'we told you so'.

Amber Rubb has promised a replacement, we shall see.

#8 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Replacement for the Green Deal, or for her?

#9 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

We can get rid of her by voting to leave the EU, not that I think we should. I suspect her Brother's connections with Hinkley will do it for her.

Edited by SteamyTea, 15 April 2016 - 08:41 AM.