• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 woodybush

woodybush

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:36 PM

I AM REMOVING A LARGE INTERNAL LOAD BEARING WALL BETWEEN MY KITCHEN AND DINING ROOM AND WILL INSTALL A STEEL WHICH WILL BE SUPPORTED AT ONE END OF THE HOUSE AND ON AN INTERNAL WALL. THE WALL IS 4.2 METRES LONG

THE INTERNAL WALL WILL BE SUPPORTED WITH CONCRETE IN THE FLOOR ETC. i AM APOINTING A STRUCTURAL ENGINEER FOR THE PLANS AND BUILDING CONTROL

WHAT SHOULD I BE PAYING FOR THE SE AND THE BUILDER TO DO THIS JOB ALL IN MANY THANKS

#2 ps_calcs

ps_calcs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:48 AM

Hi woodybush the best way to find out is test the market initially you need to find a suitable engineer who is able to provide your calculations not all SE Companies undertake domestic design. Many do not undertake small fee type of work but the ones that do should give a market rate.
Try to provied as much info as possible ie photos and sketches with reasonable dimensions or plans if developed this will help them in understanding your requirements. Fees by engineers should include at leat one site visit if only to have a visual apperciation of the requirement(recommended in my opinion in any case) but not always necessary for all projects. Note if they supply calcs without visiting then they will be likely to state reliance on your information, calculations and sketches. Typically site visits may include assement of ground conditions, inspection of installation and approval. If any or each one is required then expect a fee for these items in addition to the calculations and sketches drawings fee. A Simple Single beam design is a few hours in the office by the time you format the calcs in some logical document for Building control (or some may only provide single page of calcs) and some time for sketches and would be in the low hundreds so is potentially only a small amount within the over all cost for the engineers over all fee.
Dont forget the future, the house may be resold and investing in a competant engineer is advisable. I may have overstated what you actually require and some other may well disagree but working for consultancies all of the above have applied in some capacity on differing projects. Oh by the way read the small print additional client instructions may be by the hour sugest that where possible fix the fees in advance.
Lastly if you need reassurance ask for references and the Rolls Royce service will be signed off by someone with MICE of MIstructe after their name. I no way imply that any of the competant unchartered engineers, (many of these work in consultancies and to be honest may acually do the calcs) and provide valued structural design services sould not be considered, as many do provide calculations to building control. I have checked many calculations as submitted by consultants, private prationers, unchartered engineers, self designers(few and far between) to Building Control Departments, as Checking Engineer. Some you instincively know they understand what is required and the responsible ones will provide any additional information when reasonably requsted, others unfortunately entail a trail of correspondence (hopefully with a satisfactory reolution) and in the worst of circumstances no approval is gained and the client ends up instructing a competant engineer at additional cost
Im sorry on the build cost its over those in the know defer to to their expert knowledege expect they may say how longs a piece of string.

#3 agb657

agb657

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:54 AM

how long is a peice of string indeed , you need a set of drawings and calculations approved by the local authority for three builders to come and price off