ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Self-Build And Custom Housebuilding Act 2015

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Fall Guy

• Administrators
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

I must admit this legislation passed me by but it became law in March this year. It doesn't offer much other than a statutory obligation on local authorities to maintain a local register of individuals and community groups who want to self build and some vague talk of LAs having to take this into account in their planning.

Wonder if anyone has tried to register with their LA? Are LAs even setting these registers up yet?

http://services.parl...sebuilding.html

(apologies if this has already been discussed)

Edited by admin, 14 May 2015 - 07:57 PM.
added line

#2 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

It came up locally when putting together a neighbourhood plan, with the parish council considering the positive aspects of self-builders building in infill and smaller plots that developers weren't interested in, but other than that I've only heard mention of it in association with some of the initiatives for encouraging self-build in some areas.

#3 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

Thanks David, you've jolted me out of a senior moment. Meant to ask about that some while back but completely forgot about it.

Just made the inquiry. This is what we've got so far...

http://shropshire.go...d-custom-build/

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:35 AM

View Postjsharris, on 14 May 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

It came up locally when putting together a neighbourhood plan, with the parish council considering the positive aspects of self-builders building in infill and smaller plots that developers weren't interested in...

I'd have been tempted to give them a slap :-) ... no provision for self builders to bid on premium plots that developers make £ millions on?

#5 Fallingditch

Fallingditch

• Member Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNE Essex

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:05 AM

Its now six months since Richard Bacon's Bill went on the statute books.

No evidence whatsoever that my Local Authority has progressed matters at all. The Act "places a duty on local authorities to keep a register of individuals and community groups who have expressed an interest in acquiring land to bring forward self-build and custom-build projects".

The whole point was to require Local Authorities to "take account of and make provision for the interests of those on such registers in developing their housing initiatives and their local plans". (If LAs can't even find the resources to maintain a Register ...)

Back in March, the Chair of the Planning Officers Society stated:
"the proposed register seemed to be "a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut" and added "The mechanics of actually keeping a register is quite a significant task that's going to absorb resources and, at a time when resources in local government are at a premium because of cuts, you do have to question on a cost-benefit analysis whether this is the thing to do or not."
It appears that 12 Authorities shared £550,000 to set up their Registers - but I wonder have any other Authorities managed to make any progress?

My Local Authority has a consultation document out at present which largely ignores self-build. I would like to respond. Can anyone point to any research which has actually been done to measure the demand for self build plots in this country?

Update: the NACSBA has reported that 20% of LAs (69) have managed to set up a Register ... one of which is London!

Edited by Fallingditch, 16 September 2015 - 06:23 AM.

#6 mikesharp01

mikesharp01

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

Yep - HERE is some which says 11,870 homes where self built in 2012 (the report was written in 2013) uses a reasonably robust methodology and makes some other good points albeit from the perspective of a developer. Where it is flawed though is that the figure must actually be slightly higher because of people building without a mortgage. So perhaps 10% bigger.

Edited by mikesharp01, 16 September 2015 - 06:29 AM.

#7 Fallingditch

Fallingditch

• Member Blogger
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationNE Essex

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

"Self-build and custom housebuilding: draft planning practice guidance" has been published today. Brandon Lewis (aka Knobhead to our megaposters) announced today the kickstarting of dreams has begun.