ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Illegal Builds, What Happens Next...

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:15 AM

http://www.channel4....emolish-my-home

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

Looks like they are degenerating to the channel 5 level of making programmes about other peoples misery.

#3 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

Some quite impressive homes in the trailer.

#4 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

I felt quite frustrated watching it. the pure arrogance of some of the people that had clearly built stuff with no regard for planning and who clearly thought the rules didn't apply to them. I did enjoy watching the caravan be pulled down and i'm so going to enjoy it when that t**t who built the castle and hid it behind straw bales has his house demolished.

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:50 AM

Lives ruined for the sake of 19 inches?

As for the castle? I actually admire the guy's initiative. Using reclaimed stuff and doing it all himself for how much??

As for the over-extended bungalow with its shark aquarium? Now that SHOULD have been torn down by now. THAT is arrogance of the first order.

http://www.channel4....emand/59513-001

#6 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

I still love the Shark-In-Roof construct, although I might have other views if I was a neighbour.

Edited by Alphonsox, 12 May 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#7 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:11 AM

View Postjoiner, on 12 May 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Lives ruined for the sake of 19 inches?
That was just ridiculous tbh. And a £40k bill for demolition ? :huh: wtf.
The shark guy is just taking the piss, I'd travel there to watch that coming down.
Castle guy is just a gambler. He knew from day one it should have been on display, that'll be down soon also. :rolleyes:
Regards, nick.

#8 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Just watched this.

What happened to the chap with the 7 bedroom extended bungalow?

Ferdinand

#9 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:49 PM

I think they're saving that until the next episode.

#10 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:55 PM

these are pretty extreme examples but there have been a couple of heafty fines lately for people blatantly flouting planning laws.

#11 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:01 PM

I think there are dodges and loopholes and tactics at the edges, and then there is driving a squadron of tanks through the planning laws.

I'd say these were all clearly the wrong side of the line.

The only questionable one (maybe) was the 19" too large caravan, but it's a hell of a stretch to call that a caravan. They should have challenged him to move it 20 metres.

In the end he pushed his luck and was out-technicalitied.

It's like those mopeds pretending to be e-bikes, which come a cropper when the nice policeman switches the engine off and says "Go on then, pedal it 100 yards", and the 'pedals' turn out to be footrests that waggle.

I wonder if he could actually have taken off 2 ft (given the structure) and got away with it?

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 12 May 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#12 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:31 PM

"Caravan" manufacturer should have been on the ball, they would have know the specs to build to and should have alerted them it was a risk, even then once push came to shove it should have been possible to trim it down with a weeks work, better than losing the lot.

I like Fidler, he has been on the go with that castle a long time, the council should have simply let him go with it from the start as it will been a massive financial drain on them, he played the game well with keeping it hidden, shame they changed the rules - should have been a heads up to the council and others to check their aerial photos more carefully in the future on farms, a beautiful hand crafted home for your family on your own land is a completely different ball game than paying contractors to knock down a house and replace it with a mansion twice the size.

Edited by wmacleod, 12 May 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#13 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

I liked the shark one. I mean how random of a thing can you get stuck in a roof. Where abouts in the conversation with the wife does do you what love, I reckon a big massive shark sticking out of our roof would look the part come in.
The 19 inches caravan I would have took the chainsaw to it and patched it in.
The other guys are just taking the piss.

#14 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

I didn't watch this but I can see I am going to have to. It's repeated at 8PM tonight on 4seven.

The man with the shark through his roof is Bill Heinie. He lives in Oxford close to where I grew up as a boy. It's been there for at least 25 years now. I am sure it's been refused planning permission but no enforcement ever seems to have been taken. I would love to see what he has done to stop the roof leaking.

As a champion of portable buildings I'm interested to see this "caravan" that's 19" too big. Remember to qualify under the law as a "mobile home" it does NOT have to be on wheels. It has to be capable of being moved, and lifted with a crane to move it is acceptable.

Edited by ProDave, 12 May 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#15 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

The shark stayed because the Minister at the time, Lord Heseltine, didn't like everything to be regimented, and made a decision not to enforce.

Worth noting that he was an approximate local - Henley and Banbury for 40 years - and obviously had a tolerance for the Oxford University Eccentric. Me - less so, but I won't stir the pot here tonight.

A politician who was a character - like Mr Pickles, who was the Leader of Bradford Council when I lived there. He always reminds me of a Gonk.

We need more characters. Provided they are my sort of characters.

Ferdinand

Edited by ferdinand, 12 May 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#16 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 12 May 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

That was just ridiculous tbh. And a £40k bill for demolition ? :huh: wtf.
The shark guy is just taking the piss, I'd travel there to watch that coming down.
Castle guy is just a gambler. He knew from day one it should have been on display, that'll be down soon also. :rolleyes:
Regards, nick.
Crapsticks, got to set the record straight here ( again ). :blink:
I thought the shark guy was the bell end who extended the bungalow to a 2-story mansion because he mentioned sharks going into his fish tank. Oops.
I worked around the corner from shark-in-roof guy ( our b&b was virtually opposite ) and its legendary. :) I had to go round the block to get a second look after catching it in the corner of my eye passing it to get to the local merchants. Its probably only second to the angel of the north as far as landmarks I'll remember forever. I believe the locals said it started off as a protest and never got its removal enforced, well with all the effort to get it up there ( and as said, watertight ) the only real choice would be to leave it there.
Yup, this is real........Attached File  image.jpg   15.32K   8 downloads

Quality, I want one.
Regards, nick.

Edited by Nickfromwales, 12 May 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#17 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 12 May 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

I worked around the corner from shark-in-roof guy ( our b&b was virtually opposite ) and its legendary. :) I had to go round the block to get a second look after catching it in the corner of my eye passing it to get to the local merchants.
Did you used to live in Oxford as well then?

#18 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

Dave, the LA defined "caravan" according the dimensions.

Bloody stupid action on the council's part because it was two mobile homes (complete with wheels) put side by side.

#19 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

View Postjoiner, on 12 May 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

Dave, the LA defined "caravan" according the dimensions.

Bloody stupid action on the council's part because it was two mobile homes (complete with wheels) put side by side.
there is a legal definition of what constitutes a "caravan" and that sets out the maximum sizes. That does take into account a twin unit, so the maximum width is about 6 metres.

In fact the English and Welsh definition of "caravan" allow a slightly larger unit that the Scottish definition for some odd reason.

Edited by joiner, 12 May 2015 - 08:09 PM.

#20 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostProDave, on 12 May 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Did you used to live in Oxford as well then?
Busman's holiday ;)