ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Gravel Driveway And Geotextile

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dee

dee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

Hi
I am about to refurb a long gravel drive.
If gravel is laid on top of a geotextil (which some sites suggest) what prevents the gravel from moving and exposing the fabric ?

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

buy crushed stone gravel that tends to have a more angular structure and lock together.

Round pebbles will move as you say.

#3 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

You can use the plastic honeycomb grids to keep the stone in place. They arent cheap but the stone will stay in place.
http://www.coregrave...-stabilisation/

#4 dee

dee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:21 PM

Thanks both....grids way too costly for 170msq.
Won't angular stone pierce the membrane?

#5 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:53 PM

Would stone dust be a good base layer, taking the edge off the angular stone? Maybe complimented by a layer of soft sand blinding directly under the membrane. Haven't had any experience with this stuff btw, just thinking of possible solutions ;). How hardy is this membrane ?
Regards, nick.

#6 oz07

oz07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:26 AM

The woven gear is ridiculously tough. Type 1 ontop won't pierce it even with being rolled. Only thing I've noticed it's the surface water tends to run off it rather than soak thru. Not always a prob but worth mentioning.

#7 ferdinand

ferdinand

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

Hmm.

I have normal weed membrane for the last 2 years and that is fine under the gravel.

It tends to be cut from below not above, and if your Type I subbase is properly whacked you should be OK.

Ferdinand

#8 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

Not sure I'd just use membrane and gravel. Should be some hardcore under it as others have mentioned. What's the ground like?

Spec for a gravel hardstanding..

http://www.pavingexp...01.htm#specgrav

Lots on gravel and recommended sizes and thickness..

http://www.pavingexp...om/gravel01.htm

Edited by temp, 30 April 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#9 jntabbycat

jntabbycat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

Construction of the sub base is the same for most driveways. Excavate, then lay a good quality membrane (woven type is best) then sub grade (Type 1 etc) then gravel on top. 40mm of gravel should be ok. As previous posts have stated pea shingle tends not to bind at all but the more angular stone will bind together better and so less maintenance (re spreading) is required.

#10 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:13 PM

Dee, if it is refurbing a drive then I would question whether terram is necessary or desirable. Fresh/unstable ground of course, but if the base is solid I can't see it doing a lot for you and a shallow layer of new stone may be all that is required.

Edit : Solid for sold

Edited by Nickfromwales, 30 April 2015 - 08:18 PM.

#11 dee

dee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

Well, as ever I am trying to do this project on a budget.
Cant afford to excavate, MOT,menbrane etc
I've taken the old gravel up and I'm left with a fairly solid base except for the perimeter as is has had no traffic.
I have levelled it as best i can and intend to finish the levelling with old gravel/stones and then use a wacker all over, wetting it it in the hope it will compact more.
I can hear the groans about my methodology!
I have grave concerns about the new gravel sinking over time sot is there ANYTHING I can do on the cheap to lessen this happening? Some sort of blinding/stabalising/cement/lime slurry ?
Sorry :(

#12 dee

dee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:33 PM

So,this is crunch time!
I have 10 tonnes of crushed lime arriving tomorrow ( Thurs ) so I have to decide on textile or not...NOW.!
I have a 50m roll of heavy duty stuff that I was thinking about laying up the center of the drive and across the top where two cars park sided by side.
Then on top a thin layer of crushed lime, with fines, and then a top layer of gravel

AM I wasting my time putting membrane down ( as weed prevention/stabalizer/barrier to sinking gravel ?
Would the lime move, ie not bed in sufficiently

Thanks

#13 dee

dee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

Oh, i should mention that today I have compacted the bare old drive surface with a wacker

#14 CC45

CC45

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationShropshire

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

got membrane - might as well use it. No harm.

#15 dee

dee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

But won't the lime/gravel move around on the membrane?
I can only put down 30mm of lime and 40mm of gravel

#16 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

Our present drive is just an assortment of hardcore, then landscape fabric then gravel.

I made the mistake of getting pebbles, rather than crushed stone, so they are mostly all rounded so they do move about. But they would do that even if the fabric wasn't there. That's why I previously advised getting crushed chippings that will be a much more angular shape and lock together so much better without rolling around so much.

40mm of gravel should be plenty. I doubt we have much more than that.