Jump to content

ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Confused! - Extension Design

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jape77


    New Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

Can anyone help?

Not a self-builder but we are buying a house and extending and renovating it. Will need planning permission but architects we have spoken to have said we also need to do building control app with detailed drawings. This is a confusing and frustrating double whammy:

- weeks of time waiting for the building regs approval
- architects are expensive!

We thought we could just get some drawings done for the planning app and a builder could pick up the rest.

Do I need to pay an architect £2k-£3k plus structural engineers fees for a simple extension? Or is this architects being over-the-top?

#2 ProDave


    Self build in the Highlands

  • Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

In England and Wales you can do an extension under a Building notice rather than full plans approval but it will mean more visits from your building control inspector and will mean making decisions and agreeing them with him as you go.

Full plans approval has everything details so if you build to the agreed plans there should be no issues.

A lot depends on your builder.

#3 tony51


    Regular Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

First of all, are you sure you need planning permission? Much can now be built under permitted development.

Assuming you do need planning permission, those drawings are a lot simpler to do than Building Regs drawings.
You don't need to employ an RIBA for a small extension - a good local technician will do them for far less. £5/700 would be
a reasonable rate. Look in your local free paper under 'Plans Drawn'.

Strictly, you do not need plans for Building Regs - you can do the extension under a Building Notice, though having plans
leads to far less confusion, especially if your builder is not 100% reliable.

If you can use CAD, you can do the planning application drawings yourself.

Edited by tony51, 17 April 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#4 temp


    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:34 PM

Re the two methods of getting Building Control Approval...

The "Full Plans" route means that in theory Building Control check the design and tell you about any problems before you start building it. That doesn't mean they won't find problems during construction but it reduces the risk that they will be expensive to put right.

The "Building Notice" route relies on the builder knowing what he needs to do to meet the regs. There is a slightly greater risk that half way through the build the BCO will discover a problem that costs a lot to fix. The costs are lower as you don't need such detailed plans.

#5 tonyshouse


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationThames Valley

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:03 AM

You don't need an architect, you do need plans.

I would never go building notice in your shoes, get plans, get several quotes on them then do it.

There is a proverb about rushing,

#6 joiner


    Advanced Member

  • Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:58 AM

Take your time with the punchline, Tony, take your time. :D