ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Time For A New Cordless Drill...

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Nos

Nos

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

My 24 vlt WORX is still going and packs a big punch, one battery is on its last legs but the drill itself is fine, its about fifteen years old and has had some stick. Nos

#82 ConstructionChannel

ConstructionChannel

Local Youtuber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • LocationNW Essex

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

I wear belt and braces everyday. Looks very European. :P

#83 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Whilst I'd do it all so differently if I did it again (before finding ebuild) I'm quite proud of the "no squeak" floor I did when I "lined" the old outhouse. Like a muppet I built up the old floor with mass concrete to within about 5" of the house's nominal FFL. WITH hindsight I could have put PIR under there.

I build a frame from 4"x2" and even through housed all the noggins into the joists. All joints were then glued. I in effect carried a stud wall in and laid it flat. 400mm centre joists with 22mm board fitted with Spax screws. Solider than a solid thing. Really doesn't feel like you're walking on a chipboard floor at all.

#84 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, well, it wasn't "my" floor. Its 10, 20, 100 times worse than the same wood flooring I laid on floorboards, parallel, that had been attacked by tradespeople.

#85 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

View Postdaiking, on 17 March 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

Yeah, well, it wasn't "my" floor. Its 10, 20, 100 times worse than the same wood flooring I laid on floorboards, parallel, that had been attacked by tradespeople.

Our dormer floors upstairs creak appallingly. All the noggins are nailed. The 18mm chipboard T&G sheets have been nailed down with angular ring nails. Next to the walls, the floor edges "kick" up where they're sitting on those thick galvanised joist hangers that sit about 3mm higher than the tops of the joists.

ANOTHER JOB!

#86 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

Just looked at my three cordless drills and the ni cads seem pretty u/s, I was tempted to buy a new de Walt but there is nothing mechanicly wrong with all three so I thought about putting new cells in all six battery packs. They are erbauer ( screwfix) and varying amp hours. ( 1.3 to 2.0) seems a shame to chuck them out. Thoughts please and recommendations for a source of cells.

#87 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

It's hit and miss buying replacement cells from China / Hong Kong on eBay etc.

I rebuilt a Bosch 9.6V Nicad pack with "quality" cells from RS Components years back and that worked like new.

More recently, lulled by how cheap they were I bought some sub C NiMH cells from Hong Kong for a freebie old 18V Dewalt that I was given with duff batteries. Tbh it's not turned out well. Batteries have no grunt and don't last. I in fact bought two sets to do two batteries but haven't bothered doing the second one.

I bought an eBay 12V Nicad "clone" pack for a Ryobi that again had sat there for years. That battery is OK.

Also a 3.0Ah Li-Ion Makita "clone" battery ((£24) which tbh has been fantastic. Though I never leave it charging on anything flammable! :lol:

A friend who worked repairing power tools since 16 and now imports various batteries reckons you need really to use a temperature controlled solder gun to heat the cells as little as possible when making packs up.

Just go a and buy a decent Makita 18V with 80Nm of torque! :lol:

#88 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

View Postjoe90, on 30 March 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

Just looked at my three cordless drills and the ni cads seem pretty u/s, I was tempted to buy a new de Walt but there is nothing mechanicly wrong with all three so I thought about putting new cells in all six battery packs. They are erbauer ( screwfix) and varying amp hours. ( 1.3 to 2.0) seems a shame to chuck them out. Thoughts please and recommendations for a source of cells.

Best UK supplier in my view is the Component Shop: http://www.componentshop.co.uk Sadly they have re-organised their website, so finding tagged NiMH cells is near impossible, but they do stock them still, I'm sure, as I think they make up their own packs. Worth emailing them to ask, as I've found them helpful in the past.

Many NiMH power tools seem to use sub-C cells, and I know they stocked Vapex brand single tagged cells last year, as I re-celled one of my NiMH drill packs. I've bought a fair few NiMH cells from that shop over the years, as I used to re-cell portable aircraft radios for people as a favour, and never once have I had a duff cell from them. I have a couple of home-made LED torches that must be at least 5 or 6 years old, get used all the time and are still on their original cells from that place.

As above, ebay is a minefield for cells, as unless you know the seller you could be getting anything. I bought some 18650 (laptop cells) that were advertised as being 3600 mAh capacity. When tested they were just over 1000mAh. That was from a supposed UK seller, too, who turned out to be in China and didn't speak English. I think there are a lot of Chinese sellers who are now just using a mailing warehouse in the UK, so you buy thinking you're dealing with a UK seller, the parcel arrives via Royal Mail or Parcelforce, but in fact you have bought from China and have no hope at all of getting any redress, other than using ebay.

#89 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

Ah ha, I was going to use ni cad cells as that's what's in the batteries at the moment and I presumed the charger would only work properly with ni cads??? Is this the case guys?

#90 Onoff

Onoff

My pressures!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

View Postjsharris, on 30 March 2016 - 05:14 PM, said:

Best UK supplier in my view is the Component Shop: http://www.componentshop.co.uk Sadly they have re-organised their website, so finding tagged NiMH cells is near impossible, but they do stock them still, I'm sure, as I think they make up their own packs. Worth emailing them to ask, as I've found them helpful in the past.

Many NiMH power tools seem to use sub-C cells, and I know they stocked Vapex brand single tagged cells last year, as I re-celled one of my NiMH drill packs. I've bought a fair few NiMH cells from that shop over the years, as I used to re-cell portable aircraft radios for people as a favour, and never once have I had a duff cell from them. I have a couple of home-made LED torches that must be at least 5 or 6 years old, get used all the time and are still on their original cells from that place.

As above, ebay is a minefield for cells, as unless you know the seller you could be getting anything. I bought some 18650 (laptop cells) that were advertised as being 3600 mAh capacity. When tested they were just over 1000mAh. That was from a supposed UK seller, too, who turned out to be in China and didn't speak English. I think there are a lot of Chinese sellers who are now just using a mailing warehouse in the UK, so you buy thinking you're dealing with a UK seller, the parcel arrives via Royal Mail or Parcelforce, but in fact you have bought from China and have no hope at all of getting any redress, other than using ebay.

It's the chap I know that owns Vapextech. Our lads have been at school together right from nursery etc. I used to get him to do all our works power tool repairs and PAT testing when he worked doing that.

Since starting the battery thing full time I've put a lot of people onto him for RC & Airsoft stuff over the years. When we last spoke he said he wasn't selling small quantities of sub C's direct to the public on the website. I guess maybe it's because if Joe Public builds a pack, overcooks it and it's no good they might blame the cells.

I can ask though if he will do so via email contact etc.

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/

Oddly enough I've got Vapex cells in this keyboard and mouse, all the phones, the walkie talkies etc.

Edited by Onoff, 30 March 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#91 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

View Postjoe90, on 30 March 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

Ah ha, I was going to use ni cad cells as that's what's in the batteries at the moment and I presumed the charger would only work properly with ni cads??? Is this the case guys?

99% of the time you can just fit NiMH in place of NiCd OK. It's important that when rebuilding the pack you insert the thermal fuse and any temperature sensor (Makita packs often use the temperature sensor to control charge shut off).

Happy to do the job for you for just the cost of the cells if you want, I must have done dozens over the years, and know the quirks of most.

#92 joe90

joe90

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

The knowledge and generosity of JSH knows no bounds, thank you Jeremy I may well take you up on this offer. ( the trouble is I like to do things myself and I think Jeremy is the same ) .

When I went to visit Jeremy he told me of the few occasions where an extra pair of hands would have made the work he was doing a lot easier ( feeding flexible pipe work for his MVHR for example) I wish I had been around to help him on those occasions just to pay him back for the knowledge I have gained.

Edited by joe90, 30 March 2016 - 08:11 PM.