ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

1st Self Build Extension

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SelfBuildJohn

SelfBuildJohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hi Everyone,

New to this site but plan to use it a fair bit throughout by various projects that I intend to tackle starting this year.

The first thing on my list is a small single story extension of the kitchen to bring it in line with an existing extension that was built pre-purchase of the house. My first question is what do I do about the drains?

On the outside of the existing kitchen wall I have the main foul pipe from the upstairs toilet with a man hole cover, along with the waste pipes from the kitchen which feed into the classic open type drain.

Can I just build my extension straight over the top of these drains and box in the pipework running down the side of the house, leaving access points in the raised floor if I need to gain access? (I know about lintols for the foundations etc :) ), or do I need to completely move the drains?

I'm hoping I can just work round them as I can see moving them is going to be pretty expensive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

John.

#2 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

You can have a manhole indoors but has to be special sealed type.

You can usually only build over your own drains, if they are shared drains they may belong to the water co now.

#3 SelfBuildJohn

SelfBuildJohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Does this only apply to the manhole, can the other waste water drains be left as is and just built over?

Thanks,

John

#4 sketch3d

sketch3d

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:44 AM

You might find moving foul drains, providing it's only serving yourself a small cost on the whole project. Why don't you investigate doing this.
As temp said, if the drains are shared they have more than likely been adopted by the local water authority which means you will need a build over agreement, also they won't want internal inspection chambers as they have to have access at all times, so if the drain is a shared pipe you will have to drop an inspection chamber either side of your extension and ensure the drain is properly bridged with lintels, buried in pea shingle and what ever the water authority tell you they require.

Edited by sketch3d, 26 March 2015 - 05:44 AM.

#5 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostSelfBuildJohn, on 25 March 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Does this only apply to the manhole, can the other waste water drains be left as is and just built over?

Thanks,

John

In your OP you said..

On the outside of the existing kitchen wall I have the main foul pipe from the upstairs toilet with a man hole cover, along with the waste pipes from the kitchen which feed into the classic open type drain.

You would have to do something about the gully ("open type drain"). You can't just build over that. You might be able to redirect the kitchen waste pipe into the soil stack ("main foul pipe from the upstairs toilet").

#6 SelfBuildJohn

SelfBuildJohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone you have been really helpful.

Thankfully it's not a shared drain so I think I'm ok but I will double check.

Temp - Now you mention redirecting the waste water into the foul pipe it's flipping obvious! I don't know why I didn't think of that straight off the bat! See, a fresh perspective can save you a headache :)

That was the last part of the plan I was unsure of so again thanks to everyone for your help.