ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Can An Architect Keep Raising His Fee Ad Infinitum?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

When I engaged an architectural technician and structural engineer, his fee was based on a percentage of the "build cost" and that "build cost" was taken from some standard cost per square metre. He even apologised that this standard figure was very much on the high side and mine won't cost anything like that much.

So there's no chance of him coming back saying sorry now it's designed it's going to cost more so my fees have gone up.

#22 bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

I think the best way is for a fixed fee agreed upfront. None of this percentage carry on. I'm not entirely sure I'd want my architect seeking prices for contractors either!

#23 recoveringacademic

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,343 posts
  • LocationLancaster, Lancashire

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

This post is about how to be fair

Talk about it.

#24 notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

View PostNickfromwales, on 05 March 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

I'm in the wrong job. :o

Seven years' to qualify (a couple of which involve being paid) then several more earning very little, then start your own business and try and get enough clients to pay the bills.

Have at it! B)

#25 jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

To be fair, I've met a fair cross-section of architects now. We went to four local practices to design our house originally, and came away deeply dissapointed that they couldn;t grasp the fundamental point, which was that we wanted a zero energy home on our site.

Since building the house I've now had fourteen architects come to visit, one or two more than once. Of these, around 80 to 90% just weren't interested, or couldn't get their head around, the need to integrate technical requirements into the fundamental design.

That leaves 2 out of a total of 18 architects that I would trust to design and build a house like ours, plus one other than might be able to do it at a push. From those there is one architect I've met who really gets it, and really does understand that there needs to be a fundamental change in the way architects, technologists and engineers work together right from the orginal concept stage.

I fully acccept that architects average pay isn't great (around £40k I think) and that the training period is long, but there are, sadly, a few architects out there who see self-builders as an opportunity to charge ludicrously high fees for sub-standard levels of work.

I've often felt that some architects look upon self-builders as if they were yacht owners - so apply the same techniques of charging very high fees with the asumption that anyone owning a yacht has to be wealthy enough not to care. I owned a yacht for years, one I'd spent 5 years hard graft restoring from a wreck, and came across the"treble the price because he's a yachtie" phenomenom many times. I quickly learned to always buy stuff from the fishermans chandlers, not the glossy yachtie places, as the prices there were realistic. Even so, I had to leave my yacht in Scotland when we moved south, as there was no where I could afford a mooring (moorings were free in Portpatrick harbour as long as you were a village resident).