ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Argh...S.E Extremely Slow And Poor Communication

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 MrWorried

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

My background is in the motor trade that does not have the best reputation, but since I have started on the self build route I have never come across more incompetent and dishonest so called professionals that you need to help with your project.
Things for us have got so bad that after over a year working on our project and having got planning in place 6 months ago we are on the verge of giving up on the whole thing.

#22 jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Not that this will help MrWorried, but one reason (Aside from the financial aspect) we decided not even to go near the Main Contractor route is that we know a couple of people who went down that route and it was not good - the latest had to sack them and managed the rest of the build herself AND brought it in well under budget.

She is pretty scathing of the work ethic of most of the tradespeople she met - I could go into details, but that would probably be a whole other thread! One particular problem however was another example of the S.E/architect issue - the S.E has specced a certain lintel and attachments - but because of the construction of the wall (porotherm), the method of attaching was not suitable and a bit of a set-to occurred between the architect and S.E. S.E blamed the architect and v.v.

I'm hoping very much we can try steer clear of too many issues like that by keeping close to the design prior to BW and ensuring that I bring both together a couple of times to work through as much as possible.

For all he is slow, the S.E is a nice guy and extremely knowledgable.

#23 MrWorried

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:07 PM

It's not trades people we have had problems with we haven't reached that stage yet it is the professionals that have caused us so many problems and delays.

#24 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

It only happened to me once that I had to tell a customer that I couldn't do their job after having to postpone it twice because of delays caused by their architect.

They were lucky I was able to do that because on the first postponement another customer agreed to bring their job forward by a couple of months and were able to afford to do that and I was able to do it because I had actually made the bits for the job brought forward and had them stored in the workshop.

But on the second request for a postponement there were no jobs I could juggle around and probably wouldn't have done so even if I could. They had the cheek to tell me that I was being unreasonable. OK.