ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Existing Stairs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dot

Dot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

Hello I'm new to this and apologise if I'm in the wrong forum My parents are struggling with their house due to very steep stairs They go straight up and are extremely steep so they are wondering if to change them Or ideally need advice on turning the house to a bungalow. I've looked on many sites but to no avail I've got loads on bungalow to house But I'm after the opposite house to bungalow And was hoping some kind person would be able to give some advice or if anyone knows where I can get any info

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

The stairs are probably steeper than would be allowed today. If you have room it might be possible to replace then with a less steep flight, or fit a stair lift.

If you want to turn the house into a bungalow, all you need is to find a room you can use as a bedroom (dining room perhaps?) and arrange for a downstairs toilet and bathroom. then the rest upstairs can just be left for visiting guests.

Edited by ProDave, 06 February 2015 - 01:48 PM.

#3 Dot

Dot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for your reply as the house is quiet large both up and down we were thinking of just turning the downstairs into a bungalow and extending for a three bed bungalow with a wet room for my mum and dad The trouble is I don't know the best way of going about it and was wondering if anyone would have some ideas, or just get a local builder to have a look. All the info I've found is bungalow to house

Edited by joiner, 06 February 2015 - 09:33 PM.
Typo.

#4 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

You should really speak with a local design professional to see what options you have open to you - they can add a lot of value that random folk on the Internet can't because they can properly examine the building and see what is practicable and what the real needs are. Turning a house into a bungalow is unlikely to be a good idea long term but there is plenty that can be done in the short term to make life more comfortable for them like Dave suggests.

#5 elgin

elgin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:46 PM

do you have any drawings or sketch you could upload.

Another option may be to put new stairs in an existing room so that they arent so steep and then utilise the old stair area to extend a room.

Also there is the simple answer of a stairlift.