ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

What Slate To Use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 merv

merv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

Hi again

I'll soon be ready to slate a new build, last time we did one we used Brazilian green slates and hung using hooks...this was over two years ago and I got to say the roof still looks great.

At the time this slate was good value but is there a better alternative out there? If not what do others like to use?

Cheers

Merv

#2 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:01 PM

Are you required to use natural slate or can you consider a composite tile with the appearance of slate (such as those used by Jeremy on his build - Ikoslate if memory serves). Could save quite a bit of money?

#3 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

I liked the colour of the Brazilian slate samples I've seen, but each supplier I spoke to said that they didn't like selling them as they are not as durable compared to slate from other regions, have a much shorter guarantee and must be hung with the hooks you describe to maintain the guarantee. Personally, I don't like the apearance of a roof done with the hooks and they are an added expense to be factored into overall costs, but each to their own.

At one stage I had over a dozen slate samples under scrutiny in every type of light possible and rejected an offer of another supplier entering the mix as I was suffering from too much choice!

I wanted to avoid dark slate and was really after the closest thing to a Bangor blue with a rugged texture that I could find. The two choices I narrowed down to were the Classic Blue Chinese slate from LBS (in NI) and the Samaca Q49 7mm from Capco Roofing Products. In the end I went for the Samaca because it was available in 24x12" and had a nicer texture IMO, but this did work out a few hundred pounds more expensive.

The main thing to look for when buying slate is that they are A1, S1 and T1 certified so that they are durable, colour fast and will not rust due to excessive mineral content.

Our roofers had used Samaca slates on a previous job and said they had problems with cupping and breakages, but have found our batch very consistent.

I can take a few pictures when I'm on site today and post them later.

The only thing I would say about man made alternatives is that generally, they will not look better with age but a natural stone product can and probably will develop a pleasing patina over time.

Edited by slidersx200, 06 February 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#4 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:41 PM

It's good you have a choice, because I'm building within a National Park I'm forced by a planning requirement to use a single local supplier Burlington slate.

Edited by Triassic, 06 February 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#5 mrpunter

mrpunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

View PostTriassic, on 06 February 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

It's good you have a choice, because I'm building within a National Park I'm forced by a planning requirement to use a single local supplier Burlington slate.

A developer I know was under similar pressure from the planners, who quickly backed down when confronted with a near-identical Spanish slate sample and threats of breach of European competition laws.

#6 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

Similarly I was told the choice was black cambrian slate or clay tiles. I used Ikoslate, made from recycled plastic, and they fool everyone who sees them (including the conservation bods!). 1/3rd the weight of slate, near zero wastage (a slate cut in half with a saw con have both halves used) and they are well-proven not to fade over at least 20 years (they are, sadly, a US product that has been in use there for decades).

#7 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

POPULAR

Here are the Samaca Q49 7mm slates in 24x12" (or 600x300mm in new money):

Attached File  DSC04098.JPG   281.95K   31 downloads

Attached File  DSC04099.JPG   286.63K   24 downloads

Attached File  DSC04101.JPG   311.5K   20 downloads

Our soil vent pipes use these in line vents with a slate cut to fit around the little square grille:

Attached File  DSC04100.JPG   272.51K   14 downloads

#8 Armalig

Armalig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:06 AM

View Postslidersx200, on 06 February 2015 - 08:43 PM, said:

Here are the Samaca Q49 7mm slates in 24x12" (or 600x300mm in new money):

Attachment DSC04098.JPG

Attachment DSC04099.JPG

Attachment DSC04101.JPG

Our soil vent pipes use these in line vents with a slate cut to fit around the little square grille:

Attachment DSC04100.JPG
Looks really nice sliders...where did u end up getting these from and what sort of price/1000? Cheers T

#9 Redoctober

Redoctober

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:26 AM

An interesting thread - we are not quite in a position as yet, to make such decsions but on our radar, we have slates from Greys Art Stone - a reproduction slate with the appearance of natural slate - Are there any experiences or thoughts amongst the collective regarding these ?

PW.