ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Bungalow Extension - House Conversion Plans For Review

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshinegang

Sunshinegang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:46 PM

Hi, as promised in my intro I’ve attached the plans for my existing bungalow and the new build, I’ve not finalised the build yet so are open to suggestions.

Q)Is it better to have the joiner build roof trusses on site or have them prefabricated off site? I guess pre-fab is faster but at what extra cost?

Attached File  existing.pdf   102.46K   36 downloadsAttached File  proposed.pdf   151.04K   42 downloads

Any comments welcome. You'll notice on the existing there was a lot of patio style double doors of which I’ve removed so as to not have doors to the outside in the bedrooms. We are also contemplating a bay to the living room window but due to the depth of the slab I think the large brick element beneath the window doesn’t look quite right, we may just change the doors to near full height windows but the idea of a bench seat in the window and added storage did appeal.

Edited by joiner, 13 January 2015 - 06:32 AM.

#2 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

I didn't comment earlier as I didn't have a lot to say.

About my only observation is you have completely removed downstairs bedroom 3 in order to accommodate the stairs, and made a perhaps overly large (wasted space?) hall.

I would have either retained a smaller bedroom 3 (box room / store room) or incorporated part of the old bedroom 3 into an enlarged downstairs bathroom, perhaps adding a large shower?

And at least one of the upstairs bedrooms would get an en-suite (once you have had a bedroom with an en-suite, it becomes a must have)

Edited by ProDave, 12 January 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#3 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:57 PM

Very complex and busy roof for the space you are getting. Personally I would be looking at changing the hip to gable and keeping roof pitches the same on each elevation, I don't like different pitches always looks like an afterthought, you are looking at a lot of expensive roof work with all those dormers which isn't going to be something you buy pre-fab. I'd forget the dormers and use the space created by the gables and steeper roof pitch to have bedrooms in line instead of 2 abreast. I would also try and keep the same style and placement of windows. Is this something you have drawn yourself? It might be an idea to speak with a few designers to see if they have any words of wisdom to add.

#4 bassanclan

bassanclan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

My thoughts are that not every bungalow lends itself to a loft conversion.

I would have thought you could achieve a much better solution with single storey extensions, but that obviously depends on the plot etc and that is where a good architect (or similar) earns their money!

#5 Sunshinegang

Sunshinegang

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:47 PM

Apologies for late reply, moved in and had some issues. We've now decided to do the build next year in order to learn all the options open to us and get it right.

The drawing was done by an architect to my spec, the hip is in an effort to me more sympathetic to my neighbour as a gable would be more in his face as the adjoining property, I’m not averse to pursuing this if it has huge monetary benefits. I was told its six and two threes by the builders and architect (please advise if you think to the contrary).

The different pitch angle is to maximise the space in the loft space, this will be traditional trusses up to the apex when they become pre-fab (dormer style) attic trusses. The roof truss people have since requested the two dormers are separate in order to add some more traditional style for strength in between.

The house is quite large and with upstairs will be huge, we are not short of space and would like to make the entrance hall quite Grande thus its expanse, it also lends itself to putting the stairs here.

Edited by Sunshinegang, 11 February 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#6 elgin

elgin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

I would try to get the upstairs bathroom over the downstairs one better for the service runs.

Also perhaps look at moving the staircase, to the left, as if you could do that you would have the option of the bathroom and then perhaps a room next to it which would allow for an en suite bedroom upstairs.