ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Hello From Northern Ireland

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 PeteFromNI

PeteFromNI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

Hi, My name is Pete from Newtownards in Northern Ireland.

I have just received outline planning permission to build a house on a half acre site on the family farm. I hope to start building later this year or early next year,it will be a steep learning curve as I plan to do a lot of the work myself with the help of friends and relatives. Any help or advise you can give will be gratefully received.

Regards
Pete

#2 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hi Pete another from our wee island. There are loads of people here that will try to answer what question you pose.
What kind of house are you building, block or timber frame. Have a read through the blogs esp Jeremy's and more NI relative sliders and see what bits you can take from them.

#3 PeteFromNI

PeteFromNI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Cheers Declan,
No firm decision on the construction method. I was leaning towards timber frameand had spoken to a few companies. I was really interested in the 'no central heating house' produced by Tyrone timber frame. However it looks like they went under at the end of November.

#4 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

I looked into them about 2 years ago. The you will need no heating at all. The heat from you and your appliances will be more than enough to heat your house. That and the fact they wanted £64,000 just for the frame made me look elsewhere. Ended up going block as I was able to build it myself.
Have a look at advanced timbercraft and setanta in the north or viking house down south.

#5 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

Hi Pete and welcome along!

Within a fairly small radius you have Alphonsox, who is going to be building a (Setanta) timber frame home near Portaferry, archmoco, who has finished a masonry build near Saintfield and my wide cavity build is underway, also near Saintfield. There are quite a few other NI members and one thing about this country is that you're never too far from anywhere!

#6 kev106

kev106

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

Might as well throw my name into the hat as well then. Kevin, hoping to start a self build in the Toomebridge area in the coming months.

Edited by kev106, 06 January 2015 - 05:42 PM.

#7 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Hello and welcome - The Northern Ireland contingent continues to grow and grow.

If you search on the forums you'll find discussion of Tyrone Timberfame. It is a shame if they have gone under, there was nothing wrong with what they were doing just the way they going about it.
As Michael (Slidersx200) notes we are building using Setanta who are one of the most open and friendly companies I have ever worked with. They are also very capable in the passive/low energy build arena. The other people we talked to were MBC timberframe in Cahir - another company I would have been very happy to work with. Once again if you search the forums you will find they come highly recommended.

#8 archmoco

archmoco

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSaintfield County Down N.Ireland

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

Pete & Kevin,

Welcome, best of luck!

#9 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationNewry, Co. Down

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

Welcome

I am building a block house in Mayobridge, well should be starting in the next few months.

Few Legal bits just getting finished off and the digger will be starting on the site hopefully in Feb.

You will find loads of information here whichever way you choose to go.

Damian

#10 ianfld1

ianfld1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCo Antrim

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

Hi all

I am looking to get my timber frame self build going in Antrim this year

I have received a number of quotes

Most companies have been mentioned on here and have a good name

I have not heard anyone talk about Leadon Timberframe. They are Tyrone based

Has anyone had any dealings with them?

I have not looked into MBC timberframe, would you think this would be worthwhile? Are they competitive?

I am thinking a U value of 0.15 is a suitable and sensible target to go for, what is the generally consensus on this?

Cheers

Ian

#11 kev106

kev106

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

I do Leadon's bricklaying work. I wouldn't be up to speed on what packages or systems they offer but I certainly haven't heard any bad reports about them. They do offer a complete house build package too. Have u been in touch with them?

#12 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

Welcome ian
Send your plans of to everyone under the sun and compare them all up and see who suits the budget and what you want the best.
If keV does their brickwork he would have noticed by now if the frames where poor.

#13 ianfld1

ianfld1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCo Antrim

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

Yes Kev they have quoted me for the timber frame package (supply and install). I have not discussed a complete house build package

Dec, they came in best in terms of cost from all other firms but just have not heard much about.

Also they took a long time to get back to me with my quote after a lot of chasing. They are very busy with large projects in the UK is seems having spoke to them

They seem like a good firm but just want to be sure