ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

What Is This?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tedsea

tedsea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

I recently bought a house built in the 1930's with external pebble dash painted white. At various places there are brown rust marks showing on the paint. When investigating the cause of these marks I found there was an iron rod or 'spike' approximately 5 1/2 inches long going into the wall of the house (See photo). It is 1/2 inch thick, square with a point on either end.

I just wanted to ask for help in identifying what it is or what it's purpose is?

Thanks

Attached Files

#2 brickie

brickie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

Might have been a crude method of providing mechanical key to the dash?

#3 archmoco

archmoco

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationSaintfield County Down N.Ireland

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:52 PM

View Posttedsea, on 11 November 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

I recently bought a house built in the 1930's with external pebble dash painted white. At various places there are brown rust marks showing on the paint. When investigating the cause of these marks I found there was an iron rod or 'spike' approximately 5 1/2 inches long going into the wall of the house (See photo). It is 1/2 inch thick, square with a point on either end.

I just wanted to ask for help in identifying what it is or what it's purpose is?

Thanks

I think it is a support for a early floating render system, the spikes would fit into the mortar joint and support a vertical stud which would support a mesh and render. I'll check some books and see if I can find something

Attached Files

Edited by archmoco, 12 December 2014 - 08:20 PM.