ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

The Digger Arrives And Other Reports From A Northern Irish Build

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 08 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

Lovely

#22 sarahsouthwest

sarahsouthwest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:34 AM

Wow - great views! (Cool digger too...)

Good luck with getting the services in.

#23 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:33 PM

The water company arrived as planned on Monday morning and very quickly blocked the road causing no problems whatsoever - It's a wonderfully quiet part of the world - Three hours and a bag of doughnuts later we had running water. Lets hope the rest of the build goes this smoothly.

Attached Files

• Attached File  t11.jpg   38.24K   24 downloads
  • Attached File  t12.jpg   45.74K   32 downloads
  • Attached File  t13.jpg   37.95K   22 downloads

#24 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI

Posted 11 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

Aha! Nice part of the world for sure:-) We're fond of making the trip to Quintin Bay when the sun chooses to shine and we have a free afternoon.

Edited by slidersx200, 11 November 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#25 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

After a month or so of quiet contemplation things are moving again. Concrete was poured today, not entirely sure what the digger was up to though.

Attached Files

Edited by Alphonsox, 27 January 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#26 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

Exciting times! Do you need to reach a certain stage of completion with the foundations before the factory starts making timber frame or have tolerances been agreed in advance?

#27 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:25 PM

View Postslidersx200, on 27 January 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Exciting times! Do you need to reach a certain stage of completion with the foundations before the factory starts making timber frame or have tolerances been agreed in advance?

We have now handed the site over to Setanta to complete the water tight/air tight shell (that's their digger in the picture). I guess they are motivated to ensure everything fits !

#28 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 27 January 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

After a month or so of quiet contemplation things are moving again. Concrete was poured today, not entirely sure what the digger was up to though.
I'm envious of your ground conditions. What lovely soil you have to work with, you dig a rectangular trench and it stays that shape, even when the digger drives over it.

Then I think of our soggy site with it's poor soil.

#29 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostAlphonsox, on 27 January 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

We have now handed the site over to Setanta to complete the water tight/air tight shell (that's their digger in the picture). I guess they are motivated to ensure everything fits !

That's great news, I'm sure the frame will be up in next to no time! Best wishes that the project goes smoothly and please keep us updated when you find time :)

#30 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:45 PM

View PostProDave, on 27 January 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

I'm envious of your ground conditions. What lovely soil you have to work with, you dig a rectangular trench and it stays that shape, even when the digger drives over it.

Then I think of our soggy site with it's poor soil.

The soil is extremely high quality with very good drainage. We have had a queue of people offering to "help" remove the mountains of topsoil over the last couple of months. Luckily we decided to put up some big gates with solid locks.

#31 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

Digger driver is moving the digger into the middle so he can reach the furthest point away. Nice tidy dig indeed.

#32 mafaldina

mafaldina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWheal Clifford, Cornwall

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

Well done.

#33 vijay

vijay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

beautiful view too!

#34 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

Another quick update from the site...

We spent a busy weekend installing the underfloor heating system. The install ended up being very straightforward with no problems encountered. Pressure testing also went without a hitch.

Attached Files

#35 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

After barely 24 hours to admire our efforts the concrete pour for the ground floor started this morning.

Attached Files

#36 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:44 PM

Fantastic progress and a great looking result from your handiwork, Valentine's Day wasn't wasted anyway! ;)

Presumably that will be your finished floor, is there a concrete subfloor and what level of floor insulation did you go for?

Looking forward to seeing the frame arrive!

#37 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

I think Valentine's Day was well spent, however I think Judy would have preferred something slightly more romantic than a day arranging 500m of pipe and 900 staples.

The pictures show the finished floor ready for the timber frame installation. The build up is as follows :-
- 400mm Gravel base.
- 100mm concrete subfloor
- 200mm PIR
- 80mm concrete floor

Total U-Value of around 0.1u

There's going to be a few weeks pause now while the frame is built and the windows ordered.

Edited by Alphonsox, 16 February 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#38 slidersx200

slidersx200

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:20 PM

That will give you time to head off on a romantic break to make amends and still be weather tight before our build lol! Not even joking as I'm still waiting for a crucial component to be released so we can order the French doors :(

Are you going for Rationel for windows etc? Had a quick look round their stand at the show and they definitely feel like a quality item!

Edited by slidersx200, 16 February 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#39 warby

warby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

Could I please ask when did you sign the contract with your foundations and timberframe supplier Setanta?
I have asked others before but haven't had a response. I am interested if you did this after you got planning permission but before you had Building Regulations passed. If you did this, at what point did you feel you could sign 'safely'?

I would welcome anybodys view on these matters

Martin

#40 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

View Postslidersx200, on 16 February 2015 - 09:20 PM, said:

That will give you time to head off on a romantic break to make amends and still be weather tight before our build lol! Not even joking as I'm still waiting for a crucial component to be released so we can order the French doors :(

Are you going for Rationel for windows etc? Had a quick look round their stand at the show and they definitely feel like a quality item!

We are going for the Rationel - they are "reassuringly expensive" but feel like they will last for ever.
What's the hold up on the French doors ? Did you decide to go with the Unicorn Horn handles ?