ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Home Design 3D

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 afrocleland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'm sure a few of you have already seen this, but since embarking on designing my own home, thishas been the best 7 quid I've spent! A must if you have access to an ipad.

There is a free version to let you demo it out too.

I can't recommend it enough.

The Good:
You make up your floorplan in a matter of minutes (you'll maybe make some mistakes at first) and seconds later it's a 3D model you can move around and even decorate.
Really good for getting a sense of the spaces you're creating.
You can even see how the sun will move and light up the spaces.
The Bad:
Sadly only works on 1 level, although you can put in staircases.
Isn't the most intuitive to create rooms that aren't just basic rectangles.
Can't export to a less cartoonish drawing. Would be nice to just get a basic architectural drawing from the plans you create since all the measurements are there.

Here's my original attempt.

Anyone seen anything better on iPad? Or even on Mac? (Forgive me, I was a bit of a fanboy for a year or 2.)

#2 couplands

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationPeak District & Cornwall

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

I've been using Google Sketchup for years. It takes a bit of work but is very capable. It's free for the most part. It was recently sold off by google, but still available.

Plenty of YouTube videos to help get you started.

There is a Mac version but not for iPad as far as I can see. Can output to PDF for viewing on any device.

You can also accurately place your drawing on the geo-location by linking with Google earth. See my effort below.

Attached File  image.jpg   51.1K   27 downloads

Edited by couplands, 17 June 2014 - 05:47 PM.