ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

There's A 'Stranger' In The House!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

View Postjoiner, on 28 February 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

:ph34r: Well, I've joined Jeremy on the black list of the other place. I did occasionally go back to see how everyone was doing, but it appears I am now persona non grata.

Nah, its broken for everyone at the moment.

#22 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:30 AM

Ah, thanks Will.

#23 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

From what I can gather it's sort of partially broken. It's reported as working OK by the on line checking services, it seems that the forum itself is broken. There's a workaround using this link for those that really want to read about VCLs being unnecessary and other such tosh: http://www.greenbuil...co.uk/newforum/

Edited by jsharris, 28 February 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#24 baldred

baldred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

Hi All.

Nice to have joined this community. I won't feel so guilty now about reading all the previous posts.

I've had a plot of land for about five years and had always tried to use local suppliers and trades (in Scotland) to get started but it always fails to come together. Probably my fault as I have changed my target to a highly insulated and airtight house build instead of only just better than building regs through that period. Various kit manufacturers (timber frame, SIPS, combination frame/sips, etc) have come and gone basically as they seemed reluctant to resolve the issues involved with building on an EPS enclosed foundation system.

I had been reluctant to go the Viking House route as previously they did not want to supply windows and doors and I wanted a complete wind and watertight package however during a web search I came across Mr Harris' house in Wiltshire and also ebuild.co.uk. Well, this has given me a boost to have another crack at it and I hope to get over to Dublin in the next couple of weeks to sign a contract.

I'll try to update the forum about the build as or if it progresses.

Funnily enough I read earlier on the forum about connections with Scottish Water and had I been a forum member a year or so ago then I could have added a couple of volumes with the issues I experienced!

baldred

#25 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:54 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum from another of the builders in Scotland.

If you read my own blog you will see I had a few fun and games getting the services. Scottish water were the most awkward, but they did end up giving me a very good price on the road crossing needed to get the services onto our site.

#26 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

View Postbaldred, on 13 March 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

Probably my fault as I have changed my target to a highly insulated and airtight house build instead of only just better than building regs through that period.

baldred
Not so much your fault, as your good sense to strive for something better and therefore deal with the subsequent headaches regarding bringing that to fruition. ;)
Stick to your guns and keep the PMA :)
Regards, Nick.

#27 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:17 PM

And a warm welcome from me in Perthshire. Having built 4 houses to basic regs and my current house with a super insulated system, I can certainly say you will find all the heartache and delay will eventually pay off.

#28 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

View Postjoiner, on 28 February 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

:ph34r: Well, I've joined Jeremy on the black list of the other place. I did occasionally go back to see how everyone was doing, but it appears I am now persona non grata.

You don't have permission to access /forum114/ on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Quite an elite club now. :rolleyes: :D
I see the other place is up and running again, apparently it was nothing personal, just old and a bit flakey software. They're having a bit of a whip round to upgrade it at the end of the month.

Personally I flit between the two, as we all well know, this and the other place are the only self build games in town and I would hate to see either bit the dust, so do go back occasionally and ask, or answer, a question or two.

Edited by Triassic, 14 March 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#29 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

View PostTriassic, on 14 March 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

I see the other place is up and running again, apparently it was nothing personal, just old and a bit flakey software. They're having a bit of a whip round to upgrade it at the end of the month.

Personally I flit between the two, as we all well know, this and the other place are the only self build games in town and I would hate to see either bit the dust, so do go back occasionally and ask, or answer, a question or two.

The only thing you have to remember is that the other place can and may be censored or edited if any views expressed don't align with those of the owner, whereas the only moderator action ever taken on here is with regard to people trying to use the place as a free advertising hoarding. There will be no indication of owner editing there, whereas anyone editing a post here will be shown at the bottom as having edited it, and when.

#30 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

Yup, that was the (only) problem.

It all hit the fan over the badger cull, although there were earlier mutterings over ASHP, suspicions that posts that countered the editorial policy of ignoring the technology in the hope that it would go away had been censored. And, of course, the infamous AECB press release about the AECB's u-turn in expressing the heresy that biomass wasn't as zero-carbon as certain factions had always maintained, leading to the longest thread in that forum's history (at that date anyway).

Jeremy was binned over the badger cull "incident" when he was actually generally supportive of the editorial party line. Quite a few of us had to read back over the relevant posts to see what J had said that warranted such extreme action. Nothing. So, knowing what a clever bugger Jeremy is, we looked for subliminal messages. Nothing. Well, either that or a bunch of us were being incredibly thick. :blink:

That's when I posted opposition to J's being binned, leading to me being publicly threatened with exclusion if I persisted, either in open forum or (and this was the creepiest bit) via PMs. "They" had been reading the PM exchanges between me and Jeremy. :ph34r:

There was a fair bit of intimidation going on, not just of me but via the implicit threat to anyone else who fancied their chances by expressing opposition to Jeremy's ban. Putin would have been proud.

So I left.

For a while I did occasionally put a toe in their water because there are some good guys over there who know their stuff. I did miss the place and it's worth noting that one year I was the member who started the most threads, so my dedication to the place isn't in question. But there is a limit and I'm stupid enough to think that if a strongly-held principle is breached then you stand by it, regardless of how it affects you personally. And as I've often said, "it is after all only a forum".

As Jeremy says, on here if your post has been edited it'll show why (and occasionally how) and ALWAYS by whom. A few of us are so sensitive after what happened on the other place that I'll occasionally post a heads-up about editorial policy on here. Sometimes (especially since the advent of the ubiquitous iPads and iPods and smartphones) predictive text will come up with some howlers of typographical errors ('typos'). On here, once a mod goes into text to edit the 'obvious' typo all the other errors are highlighted and so it's only a matter of seconds to correct them as well. Spelling and grammatical errors are generally left to their own devices because we're not here to teach, although that said I have very occasionally intervened when "meaning" has had to be dragged screaming out of jumbled syntax. Once or twice I've given up - too much effort and there was a danger that I'd be putting words into someone's mouth and so hit 'Cancel'. :(

Edited by joiner, 14 March 2015 - 08:56 AM.
Rather a lot of "actually"!! Actually.

#31 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

Apparently I am trolling when I show evidence that Biomass is not CO2 neutral or gives a very good yield per m2 when compared to PV.
But then I do like to wind up some pompous misguided people. The trouble 'over there', is that there is now only a few people answering most of the questions and, as was pointed out, some questions are so pathetically simple that the poster should have a reality check before they hit the 'post' button. Then they don't take the advice anyway. There are a few people over there that I never bother to get into a conversation with, don't even contribute to the thread at all. This is a shame as they are going off track so badly, but if several people have offered a very similar solution, or suggested help, and they ignore it, then that is up to them. A case of 'don't come running back when you break both your legs'.

What would be useful on here, and on most forums, would be some quick guides that people could be referred to. So if someone asked about the difference between U and R Values, they can be shown a link to a brief explanation. A list of material properties would be useful too, as would explaining some technologies, I am often asked why a heat pump cannot be run as a perpetual motion machine, let's face it, they sound like they should be.

Edited by joiner, 14 March 2015 - 10:51 AM.
Errrrr.

#32 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

:) Perhaps we ought to start discussing bicycles!

http://singletrackwo...-motion-machine

#33 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

The info is out there, though, Nick. As above, plus...

http://www.quora.com...at-it-collects.

ad inf.

#34 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

I think the energy use of cycling is expensive. Why my bikes are in the shed, all 4 of them.
Just off to the seaside for a coffee now :D

#35 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

View PostSteamyTea, on 14 March 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

Apparently I am trolling when I show evidence that Biomass is not CO2 neutral or gives a very good yield per m2 when compared to PV.
But then I do like to wind up some pompous misguided people. The trouble 'over there', is that there is now only a few people answering most of the questions and, as was pointed out, some questions are so pathetically simple that the poster should have a reality check before they hit the 'post' button. Then they don't take the advice anyway. There are a few people over there that I never bother to get into a conversation with, don't even contribute to the thread at all. This is a shame as they are going off track so badly, but if several people have offered a very similar solution, or suggested help, and they ignore it, then that is up to them. A case of 'don't come running back when you break both your legs'.

What would be useful on here, and on most forums, would be some quick guides that people could be referred to. So if someone asked about the difference between U and R Values, they can be shown a link to a brief explanation. A list of material properties would be useful too, as would explaining some technologies, I am often asked why a heat pump cannot be run as a perpetual motion machine, let's face it, they sound like they should be.

The problem is that you have no way of knowing whether it really is like that, ST, or whether posts are being deleted or edited to make it seem like that.

When my posts that were in agreement with the site owners stance on the pointlessness of the badger cull were edited and then deleted (which itself was bizarre, as he was, apparently, seeking support for his views), I went back and checked a lot of other posts I'd made. Several had been edited to remove heat pump related content. Some of the old threads were nonsensical, as it was clear that some posts had just been deleted and so later replies made little sense. When I was kicked off I requested that all my posts there be removed, as some had been edited and no longer represented my own views. The site owner ignored my request and closed my account before I had any chance to delete the posts myself. There was also a time when copyright material was being directly cut and pasted from that forum into a magazine, without the permission, or even a request, being made to the copyright holder.

The final straw was that the email address I'd used to register there (which isn't one I use for much else) then got bombarded with what can only be described as offensive animal rights material by the partner of the site owner, who could only have obtained that email address from the site log on database. I was tempted to take legal action over it, but decided life was too short.

Edited by jsharris, 14 March 2015 - 11:01 AM.
typo - "check" instead of "checked"

#36 Tolqua

Tolqua

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

Hi Just joined the forum and am wondering why the carriage return (Enter) key doesn't seem to work when typing in this form. Works fine everywhere else.

#37 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

:) Welcome.

Apart from the carriage return thingy (which I'm sure someone will explain soon - can't say it's ever affected me, but I think someone else has had it so if they're still around they may know), what's your specific interest? ;)

#38 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

Hello

What is this carriage?

Shall return later to see if it works :)

#39 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:06 PM

Otherwise known as the "enter" key.

Reminds me of one of my first attempts at programming a user interface. It was meant to be idiot proof, so I instructed the user to "enter a number then press return" The first idiot to try it then asked me where the "return" key was, I pointed it out to him, there it was, with "enter" written on it.

A bit like looking for the Any key.

Edited by ProDave, 18 March 2015 - 07:06 PM.

#40 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

:D Hadn't heard that one before.

Must get out more.