ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

There's A 'Stranger' In The House!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 mvincentd

mvincentd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Declan…oh thats fantastic, it was a google search that led to a 2013 jsharris post on here that first highlighted this forum to me so it's amazing to see he's got such an extensive blog…what a resource!

#102 hrc

hrc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

Hi all, just finding out what's possible in terms of 'eco' living. Great resource.
Am currently in planning stage and getting ready to submit
Henry

#103 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:38 AM

Welcome Henry.

Worth looking carefully at the impact any energy saving construction methods may have on your planning application. We were careful to include thick walls and fairly large roof overhangs (for shading) into our planning drawings, knowing that we'd need them. We also included provision for an air source heat pump as an additional part of the approval, although we weren't sure if we were going to use one, as they need planning permission, too.

#104 DavidofMersea

DavidofMersea

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWest Mersea

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

View Postjoiner, on 21 April 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

Actually, it helps to understand that ANYONE is a stranger until they introduce themself. Once done, they're no longer a stranger.

Same here. Once you've put your foot in the forum door you're part of the "community", like it or not. ;)

Hi,

I am David and I am now trying to get planning permission to build a house on the Beach here at West Mersea in Essex. This is my third build. My new house will be 3 doors away from my present house on an identical size and shape plot, basically my new house will be a mark 2 version of my present house which I built 15 years ago .... and how things have changed.

I have been reading through some of the many posts and I would make one plea and that is for people to stop using abbreviations. Yesterday I found someone asking for help with NVQ, and somebody else looking for DPM advice. Somebody else wants to know what the DHW requirements are,whilst someone else is seeking maximum MPPT and using PUGIS.

I know some people in the building industry know what these initials mean, but I would have thought that the majority of posters here are new to construction and are not yet familiar with these initials and don't know what people are talking about

#105 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Welcome David.

There is a glossary that we try and keep up to date that is aimed at addressing exactly this point, as we understand it is a common problem: http://www.ebuild.co...f-common-terms/

#106 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

It is an interesting point about abbreviations, maybe we should get them changed in the thread title, and put in brackets what they mean after the first instance in a new topic.
I have read way too many academic papers to know that confusion can quickly happen.

ST is one of the worse, is it a Ford car, solar thermal, a female sanitary product or me.
It could easily happen that ST takes the ST to the shop to get some ST to mop up the leak on the ST.

Edited by SteamyTea, 29 March 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#107 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:11 PM

I do extend abbreviations in thread titles if the text in the post doesn't make it clear what's meant.

I also occasionally extend a title to highlight that the thread has drifted to cover subject areas not alluded to in the title. When that happens it's the bit in the title that's all lower case (and/or within brackets).

#108 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

Could anyone thinking of approaching other contributors "off line" via Personal Messages or emails please note that they are probably not alone in doing this, resulting in the in-boxes of our resident "experts" getting full to overflowing because they simply haven't got the time (or often the energy) to respond - either at all or certainly not in the detail required to give a satisfactory answer.

Posting direct to a blog entry is fine, that's what the comments text box is there for, but it's the PMs and emails (if a member includes it in their profile) that are the problem.

Jeremy's situation is unique amongst the mods because his blog and his instinct to help makes him a natural target. If you have a query specific to your own situation, then post it in open forum because the mods - aware that his position has become "difficult-to-untenable" - have advised Jeremy that all off-line approaches to him on matters of general interest to the readership at large are best ignored and deleted from his system.

So please keep it in open forum.

Thanks. ;)

#109 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:31 PM

How about a new sticky at the top of this sub-board containing this text ? - and how to search the forums successfully ?

#110 LouisBerlin

LouisBerlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hey guys! I'm Louis Berlin and a newcomer here.
Came across this forum while surfing and liked it for its active user base. I'm looking forward to chatting with you guys!
See ya!

#111 Redoctober

Redoctober

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

View PostLouisBerlin, on 04 April 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Hey guys! I'm Louis Berlin and a newcomer here.
Came across this forum while surfing and liked it for its active user base. I'm looking forward to chatting with you guys!
See ya!

You are as welcome as the next person but is it just "chatting" you are after ? :P Or do you have a "self build" back story that would be of interest to the collective?
Look forward to hearing all about :)

PW.

#112 JMD

JMD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hello,

Im James just about 60 :( and live in Surrey. I have been "just doing odd jobs" around the house for far too long and if my wife has her way will continue doing so for a good few more years to come :wacko:

Looking forward to picking a few brains here and getting some good tips & advice.

James

#113 Redoctober

Redoctober

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

Welcome James - I'm sure you will be able to offer us advice too given the number of years you have been doing odd jobs. The key to success on this forum appears to be to ask questions and to get stuck in. There is also so much to read - in between the nonsense :) there are some really useful tips, so enjoy.

PW.

#114 buddingbuilder

buddingbuilder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

Hello all,

I'm Helen - stumbled across this site and the forum recently and have already found it to be an invaluable source of information. Thank you for the early advice on moving site services - the responses made us realise this was the final straw with our main contractor and we have now parted ways....so I have a million questions that I need to try and research here!

Before I go digress about cowboy builders let me introduce myself properly - I'm a business consultant/project manager and my husband is an IT project manager - we live in Surrey with our two girls and both work on large scale change and transformation projects for end clients.

We're about to start a big 5 house build - our first major project - and it has been a long time in the planning and saving stage so now very keen to move forward and look forward to sharing our experiences and picking up tips as we go.

Helen

#115 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

:) Welcome, Helen.

See you've already started, so settle in and enjoy the (albeit bumpy) ride that will doubtless be your own large scale change and transformational project. ;)

#116 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

Yup. Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride stops ;)
:)
Regards,nick.