ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

There's A 'Stranger' In The House!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

POPULAR

Actually, it helps to understand that ANYONE is a stranger until they introduce themself. Once done, they're no longer a stranger.

Same here. Once you've put your foot in the forum door you're part of the "community", like it or not. ;)

#2 admin

admin

Fall Guy

• Administrators
  • 527 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Fair point. I've pinned to top of the 'Introduce Yourself' section pour encourager les autres (in the nicest possible sense!)

#3 Bartlett

Bartlett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:25 AM

Greetings
I'm a consulting Structural Engineer from Wirral. Interested in new build, conservation, and structures generally

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

Welcome to the forum.

#5 Derry1431

Derry1431

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNW London

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hi All

This, believe it or not is the first forum iv joined as i was very interested in a topic you had some time back on SIPs. Trying to find my way round so bear with me. ( my son usually does all the tech stuff for me). Having read through much of the details on SIP costs compared to other pre fabricated methods, which was all very interesting and useful, I wanted to know if there are companies who supply the SIP or other slabs for self build purpose. It appears that the costs you mentioned are m2 costs to supply and erect. Where is best place to go for supply only? Im proposing to build a garden room but would be building myself. Any info welcome.

PS. When you join the message "stranger in the room is a bit daunting! Was about to run straight back out!

#6 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

Welcome.

I'm pretty sure you can buy just the SIPs panels from any of the resellers for the manufacturers. Kingspan SIPs panels should be available from any Kingspan reseller, I'd have thought, so for a DIY garden room buying direct might be possible.

They are costly compared to timber frame construction, though, as the material cost is around 20% or so more than that of standard timber frame panels.

#7 Derry1431

Derry1431

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNW London

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thanks jsharris.

Understand they are more expensive and your personal preference to the Timberframe. Your imput previously on the topic was very interesting. It was about 2 years back and am wondering if they have yet managed to reduce the cost of SIPs. Will have further search round on the web for companies who supply only and other types of prefabricatet panels. Anyone got further information would be welcomed.

#8 wmacleod

wmacleod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:18 PM

If its only a garden room then you can just buy SIP seconds online via ebay or the like and get them for a reasonable price. Didn't realise it was such a small project in my other reply.

#9 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

That's a good point, looking on ebay! I'd never have thought of looking there, but there do seem to be loads of the standard 142mm panels available at reasonable prices.

#10 TheWindowGuy

TheWindowGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

Im Steve, im the owner off a supply only upvc windows doors conservatories website [spam advert link removed] we are manufacturers and supply both the general public and the trade.

im new to the forum so ill have a look around at previous threads but i would appreciate if anybody has any info on how this forum works best

Moderator note:

Welcome to the forum Steve, but please note that this isn't a bill board for free adverts for any business. It's a discussion forum for self builders and renovators, and we welcome trade input, but aren't comfortable with direct advertising within posts.

Edited by jsharris, 15 January 2015 - 07:35 AM.
remove spam advert link

#11 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

:) Not comfortable at all! ;)

#12 Triassic

Triassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationCumbria

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostTheWindowGuy, on 14 January 2015 - 11:02 PM, said:

Im Steve, im the owner off a supply only upvc windows doors conservatories website
We look forward to your impartial advice about uPVC windows etc.

#13 constructionyouth

constructionyouth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

Hello, I'm new.

I'm a student at University of Reading. In my final year and about to go out into the real world of work. Looking forward to knowledge that can be gained from the forum.

Daniel

#14 MrsDavies

MrsDavies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Hello :) My husband and myself are hoping to build a Timber Frame House and need all the help we can get. Currently we live in Lincolnshire but will be building in Shropshire,

#15 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

:) Welcome, Mrs Davies. Post away! ;)

#16 TheMitchells

TheMitchells

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationBicester, Oxfordshire

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hi there. As we are new to the site, I thought we'd better introduce ourselves.

We are The Mitchells and currently live in Bicester, Oxfordshire. We've been trying for several years to find and buy a plot of land but prices round here are too high or in terrible places. We did find a plot in 2008 which was expensive but I was getting desparate by then so put an offer in. However, there was an electricity cable strung across the site, right through bedroom 2 and, while the Electricity company did plan to put it under ground, they couldn't give me a specific date. After humming and hawing for a while, we dropped out and two months later, everything financial crashed and we'd have been in deep trouble. The cable was eventually moved three years later!

So after nearly getting our fingers burnt, self build was put on the back burner for a while. However, I have been still looking and was thrilled when in early 2013 we heard Cherwell Council were planning to buy the local MOD site and convert it into 1800 self build plots. We immediately registered our interest and I went into over drive researching build methods, going on self build courses and reading every self build book and magazine I could find. Initially the internet site (Gravenhill.org.uk) said plots would be sold at end of 2013, that became early 2014, then late 2014, and now its late 2015!

However, things do finally appear to be moving and we have just heard there is to be an information day next month (March 2015) when hopefully we'll get to hear about plot sizes and costs. The infrastructure should be starting by the end of this year with some of the self builders moving onto site early 2016. So while it has been very frustrating waiting for the plots to be sold, we are hopeful it will be worth waiting for. Planning should be fairly straight forward as its the council's development and they appear to be quite flexible about styles. And by building alongside others in the same boat (or street!) hopefully we can share knowledge and stresses and maybe even purchasing power?

Anyway - we only recently found this site so have been busy reading all the blogs and getting as many tips as possible. Thanks for sharing and I hope its not too long before we can do the same.

Cheers,
Corrine and Mitch.

#17 notnickclegg

notnickclegg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHampshire/Surrey Borders

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

Welcome. Sounds like you've had an interesting ride so far, with lots more to come!

Jack

#18 jsharris

jsharris

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:51 PM

Welcome!
I know the Bicester site very well, and really admire the way that Cherwell Council decided to offer so many self-build plots. There are a few potential issues, as several areas of the Bicester site are potentially contaminated, and services there are a bit of a mixed bag, but those aside it does seem to be a very forward looking looking initiative, and I wish you all the best with your project, and hope that you find everything you need here on this site.

#19 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

As someone from Oxfordshire originally I will be watching this Bicester site with interest, so welcome to the forum and please keep us posted how it goes.

#20 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:01 AM

:ph34r: Well, I've joined Jeremy on the black list of the other place. I did occasionally go back to see how everyone was doing, but it appears I am now persona non grata.

You don't have permission to access /forum114/ on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Quite an elite club now. :rolleyes: :D