ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

More Pi

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#21 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

After many many years of writing mainly Java, I'm enjoying writing some C and even assembler again, for the RPi and Arduino environments!

I like Java, I really do, but start-up time on a 700MHz Pi at ~2s when I can get in, read and write a handful of GPIO and flags, and get out, all in <<200ms, is a bit painful!

Rgds

Damon

Edited by DamonHD, 15 July 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#22 NeilW

NeilW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Yorkshire, UK

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostDamonHD, on 15 July 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

I like Java, I really do

Is this really the place to admit to masochism?

:)

#23 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

It has paid me very very good money over the years and I've even helped set a small part of the language standard.

Now ask me about investment banking... %-|P

Rgds

Damon

#24 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hurrah! Upgrade to B+ done and server is now using 1.7W, so a 30% saving.

Rgds

Damon

#25 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Over on the other forum there was talk of SD cards not lasting that long, is this really an issue. I have never had a problem with then yet.

#26 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

The SD card (and internal Flash and external Flash thumbdrive) in my SheevePlug was still going after 4.5 years without apparent error.

I think that if you take care to avoid unnecessary writes (and I've not been quite so careful this time around as I was with the SheevaPlug) then I don't think that it need be a concern.

I did actually wear out conventional commercial-grade hard discs running USENET news service as part of my ISP; I have not yet had a clear case where I have worn out any solid-state media IIRC.

Rgds

Damon

PS, I seem to be down to 1.5W, including losses in 12V-->5V converter from batteries, which is fab!

Edited by DamonHD, 20 July 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#27 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

The µSD card in my car dash cam has been recording for about 2 years now. It holds around 30 video files of around 256Mb each at any one time, and over-writes the oldest files, so keeps the last 30 files available Each 256Mb file is around 2 mins 34 secs long, so it writes to the whole card capacity around once every 77 mins. The car did around 20,000 miles with the camera running, at an average speed of around 35mph at a guess, so that represents about 570 hours of continuous writing to the card, and the creation and overwriting of around 13,000 files. It's been using the same 8Gb µSD card and I've not seen a problem with it.

#28 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

I have not had a problem with any. Did you get a shot of your car being written off?

Another useful tool I have found is this, allows me to look at the files on a linux disk from my PC
http://www.paragon-s.../extfs-windows/

Edited by SteamyTea, 25 July 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#29 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostSteamyTea, on 25 July 2014 - 03:12 PM, said:

I have not had a problem with any. Did you get a shot of your car being written off?

Another useful tool I have found is this, allows me to look at the files on a linux disk from my PC
http://www.paragon-s.../extfs-windows/

Yes, I put the link up here a while ago: https://www.flickr.c...04/14436290410/ The sound track is key, as you can hear the impacts (and also a radio news item from Gaza/Israel with a distracting siren!).

I'm just about to go out and install a new dash camera (with full 1080p HD resolution, rather than the 720p of the older camera) to the replacement car I bought yesterday, as I don't like driving around without one now. My insurers were able to settle my claim very quickly indeed (14 days from having the accident to taking delivery of another car), as the video proved liability and the other party admitted it as soon as they saw it. It far more than paid for itself, in terms of saving a great deal of argument as to cause.

#30 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

The next slice.....Raspberry Pi A+

http://www.raspberry...-a-plus-on-sale

Looks like a small form factor B+ with less memory and micro SD.

#31 DamonHD

DamonHD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

Well, probably a better power supply, micro SD and rejigged layout variant of the A!

I saw a lot of people whining on SlashDot that it cost more than nothing, didn't run at several GHz, didn't have several GB of RAM, used more than microwatts and didn't have enough ports and they were in the wrong place. Sheeesh!

I'm very very happy with my sea of RPis and Arduinos and variants!

Rgds

Damon

#32 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

Raspery Pi -2

A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

http://www.raspberry...y-pi-2-on-sale/

Will even run Windows 10 (apparently) - no idea why you would want to do this.

Edited by Alphonsox, 02 February 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#33 DeeJunFan

DeeJunFan

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationNewry, Co. Down

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Has anyone had a look at Domoticz?

Looking at a simple setup for it for lighting. But it would also work well for controlling heating systems etc.

http://domoticz.com/

#34 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

The new Pi still don't have an RTC.

Running Windows is a good move, the Linux GUIs are still lacking.

#35 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

View PostDeeJunFan, on 02 February 2015 - 11:14 AM, said:

Has anyone had a look at Domoticz?

Looking at a simple setup for it for lighting. But it would also work well for controlling heating systems etc.

http://domoticz.com/

I have a friend using this on the Pi with some success, mainly controling a Z-wave setup for heating and lighting

Edited by Alphonsox, 02 February 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#36 TerryE

TerryE

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationSouth Northants

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

My views on Windows -- especially Vista and 8.x -- is best left unsaid because I was using too many *'s. But a point of more wider interest is that this is the ARM rather than the Intel variant so the apps and library support will be very limited.

The PI 2 is useful because the quad-core Cortex-A7 brings it up to the same power as the BeagleBone black and the A7 chipset has a decent FPU and is natively supported by Ubuntu et al. The old single core A6 chipset was OK for embedded applications, but it was struggling with many other heavier usecases.

Edited by TerryE, 02 February 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#37 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Is the RPi possibly going to suffer from technology bloat, and then comes just another ICT product.
I recently had to buy a new laptop, cost £230, has Windows 8.1 installed.
For that I get at least a years warrentee, a screen, keyboard, touchpad, battery, charger, case, Bluetooth, wireless, DVD, USB ports, 500 GB hard drive, 4 processors, At least 4 GB of ram (may be 6, can't remember), speakers, camera, SD card reader...

I would think that of you bought all that for the RPi it would cost more.
RPi runs the risk of forgetting what it is for.

#38 TerryE

TerryE

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationSouth Northants

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Nick, I agree that if you want a laptop, then get yourself a laptop, ditto a tablet for tablet uses. But I also find the whole maker / hacker movement amazing, and I love the idea of these low cost components so that you can risk frying something without it costing you more than the equivalent a couple of pints of beer.

My daughter gave me a RPi for a 2013 Xmas present and it lay in a drawer for a year. So I decided to dust it off an commission it as a headless server. It cost me £5 for the SD card, £4 for Sata->USB caddy to hold an old laptop 2.5" 200Gb disk; the Enet cable and active USB hub were "drawer stock" so now I've a little server as powerful as the datacentre-hosted VMs that I am used to playing with, and I know the H/W supports Linux properly.

I also want a system that will run 24x7 reliably headless and have enough poke to run OpenHAB. The old B+ was marginal for this, but the new Pi2 can do this comfortably, so I am a happy chappy at least B)

Edited by TerryE, 02 February 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#39 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:59 PM

Doesn't a more powerful processor and more RAM just encourage sloppy programming though.
I used to use a simple 'office suite' on my old Windows 3.1 PC, did all the usual stuff, it fitted on a floppy.
Now MS Office is so large it needs the whole of the internet to run it.

#40 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

The basic processor isn't much more powerful, the overall performance gain comes from having 4 of them. Coding for multiple processors is tricky and not easy to do well, With luck this development should lead to a generation of kids who understand the trade-offs of such systems. Currently software engineers who understand and can successfully program multi-core systems are as rare as hens teeth.

Edited by Alphonsox, 02 February 2015 - 07:53 PM.