ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Water Usage Calculations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ajfish

ajfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Team,
I am not sure this is the right place to post this, but Building Control have asked for water usage calculations. I thought it'd be a given that I'd be well under any threshold given the fact that I have a rainwater harvesting system in place. I suppose I just need to ask them what's required but thought I throw it on the forum here in case anyone has recently done this and I can start getting the information together.
Any advice most welcome.

Thanks
AJ

#2 Alphonsox

Alphonsox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationCounty Down, NI and Forest of Dean, England

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

Funnily enough I was taking a look at this subject this morning and found this :-

http://www.ech2o.co....for website.pdf

Not had time to read it in detail but it may help.

#3 mrpunter

mrpunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

You just need to fill out the spreadsheet download from https://www.gov.uk/g...r-new-dwellings

Mostly, bath capacity to overflow (because we all fill baths to the overflow, right?) shower flow rates (which can be reduced with a simple washer) and loo flushes are what it is about. A paper (or rather screen) exercise. Just submit figures that comply.

#4 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

Short cuts take three times longer.....Fact

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

View Postmrpunter, on 26 February 2014 - 04:41 PM, said:

You just need to fill out the spreadsheet download from https://www.gov.uk/g...r-new-dwellings

Mostly, bath capacity to overflow (because we all fill baths to the overflow, right?) shower flow rates (which can be reduced with a simple washer) and loo flushes are what it is about. A paper (or rather screen) exercise. Just submit figures that comply.
Are you saying that the results aren't checked out?
Is this a 'self-assessment' basis only?
Regards, nick.
Ps, we are talking about Part G right?

#5 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

View Postajfish, on 26 February 2014 - 03:21 PM, said:

Team,
I am not sure this is the right place to post this, but Building Control have asked for water usage calculations. I thought it'd be a given that I'd be well under any threshold given the fact that I have a rainwater harvesting system in place. I suppose I just need to ask them what's required but thought I throw it on the forum here in case anyone has recently done this and I can start getting the information together.
Any advice most welcome.

Thanks
AJ
Hi,
I believe they only want to know about 'potable' water usage, so it depends on what you have off the RWH system.
Regards, nick.

#6 ajfish

ajfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWiltshire

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hi Team,
I think Mr.Punter is correct, it's seems to be just a paper exercise. I ran through the online calculations at http://www.thewatercalculator.org.uk which was sent to me by Building Conol in Wiltshire. When I went through it all, I sent a screenshot of the summary calculations and they said that was sufficient. They are only interested in the detail if you are going for the Code for Sustainable development or something. What that gives you I don't know. The fact that I have got rainwater harvesting seemed to offset most other potable water usage (as it feeds toilets and washing machine) and so they seemed happy that I had got below the threshold required to comply with Part G.
Thanks
AJ

Edited by ajfish, 03 March 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#7 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

My solution was simple, I just told them I don't use any water at all from the public supply. This avoided the need to show compliance with Part G usage entirely, but wasn't cheap (as it meant drilling a borehole!).

#8 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

@jsharris
I'm currently undertaking a new installation, similar to yours with manifold fed individual radial runs to each outlet. Will it be ok to arrest the flow at the manifolds and demonstrate the low flow rates that way as part G seems to just blindly ask for manufacturers stated flow rates. :-/
Regards, nick.

#9 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

I can't see why not.

Demonstrating compliance would be easy, just turn the manifold valve down until at full chat the relevant tap delivers no more than the maximum allowed (measuring flow with a bucket and stopwatch should be good enough). The great advantage of this is that once it's signed off, if the customer wants more water from their shower etc they can just open up the manifold valve a bit...................

#10 Nickfromwales

Nickfromwales

• Moderators
  • 8,182 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

My thoughts exactly :-)
They want a deep bath so hopefully that'll allow us to offset that value.
Thanks. Nick.