ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Converting Detached Garage To ? Annexe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bravedave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

11 years in our home & my now grown up son can't afford to rent anywhere (buying not even in the equation).
Our large single garage (nearly a double) is over 5 metres from the house & was converted to a games room about 9 years ago.
We would like to convert it into small habitable annexe for my son & his partner.

However, should they ever manage to move on we would then like to rent it out.
Currently flat roof but want to heighten at one end for mezzanine level. Have (free!!) plans done by an architect
Where do I start? Apart from watching George Clarke.....

#2 temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Sadly the planners will have something to say about this. You don't need planning permission if the use is "incidental" to the main house but see page 41...

A purpose incidental to a dwelling house would not, however, cover normal residential uses, such as separate self-contained accommodation nor the use of an outbuilding for primary living accommodation such as a bedroom, bathroom, or kitchen.

So first step would probably be to get your architect to do some exterior sketches/elevation drawings and see what the planners say about the change of use.

They may have concerns if the building will be a totally self contained dwelling capable of being sold or rented out separately, or if there are parking/traffic issues. Less concerned if the occupants share use of the kitchen in the house or similar. Try for the former and have the latter as a fall back?

Edited by temp, 21 January 2014 - 06:42 PM.

#3 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

:) Welcome Dave3. A bus will be along soon. ;)

(In fact it came whilst my back was turned.)

Edited by joiner, 21 January 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#4 bravedave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thank you, I am prepared to go down planning route but want to avoid any obvious pitfalls and have it refused.

Have lots of other questions but I will look more closely this site today.

To reduce costs I would like to try & use the existing single skin brick garage,
1. Where can I find how deep existing foundations need to be (clay)
2. can this be clad (wood) on the outside rather than insulating on the inside?

Edited by bravedave, 22 January 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#5 jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

External insulation would be a great way of improving the insulation without needing additional walls and foundations. EWI can either be rendered or panelled/clad, using inset battens and long fasteners.

One thing to watch is if the garage has a DPC. It should do, but that's no guarantee that it does have one. It's something that can be remedied, so not a major issue.

#6 jeffmcw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hi everyone

I note that the annexe/garage conversion maximum height measurements are to be made from the immediate external ground adjacent to the walls. Do this mean that if I dig below the external ground level that is allowed as a permitted development seeing that we are to put in a mezzanine floor for the sleeping quarters that is open to the ground floor so not strictly adding a second storey which requires planning permission?

Hope someone can answer this without me going to the Council!