ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

If Anyone Needs Any Help

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 oddball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

View Postjsharris, on 14 November 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

I've had a general policy through life of not investing in anything unless I understand how it works. Sometimes this means I pay people to design stuff, because it's clear to me that there's more value to me from paying someone than spending my time doing it, sometimes I invest my own time in learning how to design something myself. Often the latter decision is reached as a consequence of encountering either unrealistic pricing or incompetence on the part of suppliers.

What I can say with a certain amount of knowledge (some of which has been obtained from members of this forum) is that it's a great deal of work to bottom out all the key elements of an underfloor heating system design. if you're prepared to invest a fair bit of time learning all these nuances, then you could get a good value, self-designed, system with a fair degree of confidence that it would work as it should. If you haven't got the time to invest, then I'd suggest you may well find that it's better value to pay a designer.

I totally agree but you have highlighted the can of worms with the RHI payments even the proffesionals end up with differing results etc et al
I will start to look at employing a designer and lets see what happens

#22 jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

If you really want to DIY a design, then these are the key stages:

1. Determine the heating requirement for each room at the worst case you're likely to encounter at your location

2. Work out the heat output per unit floor area required for each room to deliver this heating requirement.

3. Check that UFH is feasible - anything over 60 to 80 w/m2 is probably pushing it.

4. Work out the floor surface temperature required in each room to deliver the required amount of heating under worst case conditions.

5. Determine the pipe spacing and flow temperature based on the required floor surface temperature.

6. Calculate the flow rates and size the pump, manifold, piping etc to allow them.

7. Size the heat source (boiler, heat pump, or whatever) to deliver the required amount of heat to the system.

You'll find that working all this stuff out will take a fair bit of time, but if you're like me, time rich, cash poor, then that might well be a good approach. If you're time-constrained, then I'd suggest employing someone who already has the knowledge.