3 replies to this topic

#1 slough200

slough200

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Hi All,

I wonder if you might be able to help. I am having outbuilding built in my rear garden & having the foundations done. We have filled the foundations with concrete but aren't entirely sure how far below ground level we need to stop the concreting. The building regulations plan I have from the architect onlys says "trech fill foundations 600mm wide"...any ideas?

Also what needs to be put on after the foundations are done?

Thanks in advance.

#2 dr_rob

dr_rob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Determine where you want your damp proof course, typically this will be 150mm above adjacent ground level.
How many courses of brick/blocks you want below DPC will now determine, give or take, the top of your concrete.

The rest of the building!
Dr R Saunders MBEng, BEng(Hons), PhD
www.innervision-design.co.uk and www.sapcalcs.co.uk
Building Regulations Consultant, L.A. BCO, accredited SAP assessor, Designer of G-Calc 2010

#3 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

If they are already filled it's a bit late to ask the question now. Did your architect also tell you how deep they should be?

#4 rob_d

rob_d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

It sounds like the architect's note is just a general note awaiting more concrete information (pardon the pun). Trench fill foundations are only used where the competent ground is further down, or you are in clay where trees are present. In either case you need a depth.