ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

The House That £100K Built - BBC Two

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Remarkable

Remarkable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

THE HOUSE THAT £100K BUILT

BBC TWO prime-time.

Are you working on a one off, low-cost, self-build project?

Remarkable Television are starting the search for series 2 of ‘The House That £100K Built’. Each episode will follow an individual, a couple or a family as they embark on building their own, low-cost home. Presented by architectural journalist Keiran Long, the series will follow the process, challenges and rewards of building a home on a very limited budget.

With the help of award-winning architect Piers Taylor the series will focus on how budget restrictions demand clever, innovative design solutions.

We're looking for self-build projects to feature in the series and we’d like to hear about any projects you're involved with which you think might fit the bill.

Projects must have secured (or be in the process of securing) planning permission, and must have maximum build budget of £100,000 (excluding the plot).

If this sounds like you, or if you're interested in finding out more, please get in touch by email at:

house@endemoluk.com

#2 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

quite enjoyed this but a bit too much like grand designs on a budget.

#3 ProDave

ProDave

Self build in the Highlands

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts
  • LocationScottish Highlands

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well my new house might be under that.

It's not that clear cut though. My objective is to build it as cheap as possible, but I don't have an absolute set in stone maximum budget. just a desire to build it a cheap as possible.

If you exclude the cost of the plot, cost of servicing the plot and cost of landscaping the plot, cost of outbuildings, then the actual house is very likely to come in under £100K

But to achieve that, I will be doing a LOT of the work myself. So don't expect it to be a quick build.

We (almost) have the plot. We have planning in principle. We are probably a year away from starting properly as we still have the detailed design to complete and final planning to do, so won't be starting in earnest until some time later next year. But I will do doing some basic preparation work on the site over the winter.

Re the content of the show, I would like it to focus on the build, how the house is built, what technology they use, and not like the first one in the series that spent too much time concentrating on "oh my god how are they possibly going to afford it" That just turns it from what could be an interesting program about building, to some cheap reality tv show concentrating on someone's misery and misfortune.

Edited by ProDave, 19 September 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#4 fuzzy

fuzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

your last point is true. how many times did they blinking repeat that he had borrowed the money from his parents. i guess they were trying to make it a bit edgy in that if it all went tits up the parents would lose their cash.

#5 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

It seems very hard to get decent journalism related to building. I guess to the majority the subject is just too boring.

In out local rag last week there was a 2 page spread about how someone had built a new house, but it was a long way from the nearest electricity supply. So rather than pay £18K for an electricity supply he went off grid and went self sufficient.

All I gleamed from the article was he had some solar panels a small wind turbine and a backup diesel generator that he only used a few times a year.

NOTHING about how it all works. I'm guessing a battery bank figured heavilly in it to store surplus solar PV in the daytime, for use at night etc, but no mention of anything remotely interesting like that.

The only remotely technical photo was of a large hot water tank, so I guess solar thermal might have figured in his mix, but no mention.

Edited by ProDave, 20 September 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#6 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

Anyone catch the most recent episode in this? I'd stopped watching after the first episode because I found it tedious and inaccurate (why the aversion to plasterboard? Why insist that it is somehow 'too expensive'?).
However SWMBO persuaded me to watch the latest one, which featured a couple building a removable/temporary building on their farm. There were a number of similarities to my own project so I found it quite interesting. Light on some technical details, no mention whatsoever of energy performance, but overall a big improvement on the earlier episode I'd watched.

#7 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

Is this the one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...drew-and-claire

#8 ProDave

ProDave

• Moderators
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up

I guess I'll never see that one as being on BBC there's no catch up channel (and I'm not messing about with ipayer)

The next one on Tuesday could be interesting. "Planning to build a house that never produces an electricity bill or heating bill"

Edited by joiner, 31 July 2015 - 02:15 PM.
"house" for "hose"

#9 gravelld

gravelld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

I like the sound of that.

#10 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

iplayer is ok to use on the phone or tablet. Try that instead.

#11 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

Funny, I only watch iplayer, because my aerial blew away a couple of winters ago...

#12 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

:rolleyes: crofter - Is that the one?? ;)

#13 daiking

daiking

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationSouth Manchester

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

I watched it.

No offense to the builders who I thought did a sterling job but it didn't seem to be built as an ebuilder would. The walls did not seem particularly thick (insulation wise) unlike the week before.

#14 Crofter

Crofter

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

View Postjoiner, on 31 July 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

:rolleyes: crofter - Is that the one?? ;)

Aye that's the one!
Agree frame thickness didn't seem great. I wonder what standards they were building to?
The bit where the architect showed them a house with seamless brickwork leading outside had me screaming 'cold bridge!' at the TV...

#15 oz07

oz07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

That first one where he suggested ply instead of plasterboard was ridiculous. Is there any cheaper finish apart from board and skim?

#16 declan52

declan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,087 posts
  • LocationCo. armagh

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:47 PM

That guy loves OSB. Always trying to get people to use it instead of plasterboard.

#17 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:53 AM

Watched that episode last night. Interesting to see what a difference the landscaping made to set the building off, and how careful you need to be to get the right mix of exterior cladding / roofing. The profile sheet worked well with the timber cladding, whereas the previous episode which had a concrete tile roof with timber cladding looked, well, awful.

#18 SteamyTea

SteamyTea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

I often wonder how many project the TV Production companies research before the pick on a few to actually film.

#19 stones

stones

Advanced Member

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationOrkney

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

At one point my good lady got the forms to apply for grand designs. The first question was do you anticipate any problems. I would suggest it's that side of things that drives selection.

#20 jsharris

jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

View Poststones, on 02 August 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

At one point my good lady got the forms to apply for grand designs. The first question was do you anticipate any problems. I would suggest it's that side of things that drives selection.

I had the forms for Grand Designs from Boundless Productions, years ago.

SWMBO saw them, (and because she HATES me doing TV stuff anyway) took one look and said, in a loud and very positive voice" We are NOT going on Grand Designs. I cannot stand Kevin McCloud and I don't want my friends seeing me on television". So that was that then..................