ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Beam Renovation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 postmistress

postmistress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have a big central beam going through my sitting room. This beam was covered in wallpaper, paint and plaster which I have now removed. What I am left with is a beam that is very rough, a bit hacked into, with holes filled in with plaster. There are black bits and burned bits and bits that look sanded and it generally looks very unsightly mess. I want to tidy it up but don't know where to start. I'm not looking for perfection - my house is very rustic, but it just needs to look better. Any ideas/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

#2 oz07

oz07

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

Better to go for a painted finish as opposed to a stained finish then. Get the filler and sandpaper out then gloss the same as your woodwork?

#3 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

The beam wouldn't have been painted or treated in any way originally.

In this situation, to restore the beam you need to us a poultice-type treatment, but I'm away from my main computer at the moment so don't have a link to give you.

But meanwhile google for 'Womersleys' who provide virtually every type of stuff for building restoration.

#4 temp

temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

Sand blasting would remove just about anything. Fake beam over the top? http://www.replicabeams.co.uk/

#5 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

Heretic! Sand blasting isn't recommended unless you want a beam that looks as if it's been sandblasted.

That said, a relatively low-impact bead blasting by someone who knows what they're doing and appreciates the need to leave the timbers looking as if they've been treated by someone who cares is a reasonably good last resort if the poultice looks like too much work.

#6 postmistress

postmistress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I definitely don't want to sandblast but am going to look into bead blasting as a kinder alternative :)

#7 PeakOakFrames

PeakOakFrames

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

You could also have a look into dry ice blasting. It is supposed to only remove debris from the timber and is also much less messy that sandblasting as the ice crystals evaporate leaving only the material that has been removed.

#8 joiner

joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Excellent idea!