ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

Integrated Swallows Nest - Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jamiehamy

Water Tank Conversion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationGourock/Largs

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Hi all,

I've confirmed that we have a fair few Swallows using the barn at the moment, they have arrived in the last few weeks.

We will have to postpone any build activities involving the inside upstairs until September when they leave, but I want to be sure that they have a place to go next year when they return. I don't really want to use boxes or box/nests all over the palce as there are quite a few.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever designed a nest box of any sort to be built into the roof? We will have plenty space down towards the eaves and below the ridge - wondered if we can design something that they can use, and be sound proofed enough not to cause a nuisance?

Ideas or pics would be appreciated - my thoughts were some kind of louvre/vents that they could get into the space underneath the ridge from, and line/insulat it using various materials, including some sort of metal lining to stop any other 'thing' trying to eat the wood. My architect is probably going to think I'm nuts.

#2 jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

I would think you probably could create some form of overhang for them to use. Noise probably wouldn't be too much of a problem, but the mess probably will!

A friend has swallows that nest in his boat building shed and the amount of bird poo they create has to be seen to be believed. He has rigged polythene sheeting up as an internal awning, and within a week or two of the start of nesting season it's liberally covered in poo. By the time they have all flown in the autumn there is usually a fairly thick layer built up on the plastic sheet. It seems they usually choose to "dump ballast" either just on the final part of their flight path back to the nest, or as soon as they leave it when flying out. This seems to account for the rather heavy accumulation that builds up in his shed.

Edited by jsharris, 28 May 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#3 beejay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Swallows?? Hah! I have the pleasure of about 100 Jackdaws roosting every night in three big Scots Pines at the side of the house. Now they REALLY know how to make a mess; all the shrubs along the fence are caked in white guano. Even worse, they seem to like knocking off the cones, which when green are about the size and weight of a hand grenade, and being dropped from a height of 50 feet are nearly as dangerous. We've had three windows broken in the summerhouse already this year!!

We'd love to have swallows.... :wacko:

#4 temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

I don't think I'd want to let them loose anywhere that was difficult to clean out. Perhaps design in a large box with a louvred outer door? Do it in such a way that the whole box can be pulled out and replaced if it all get too stinky.

PS A single pair got into the roof of one of our outbuildings and made a right mess.

Edited by temp, 31 May 2013 - 08:28 AM.