ebuild is sad to announce its closure - it has become too time and resource intensive to develop, manage and maintain.

However, ebuild will remain on-line in archive mode (ie no posting facilties) for several weeks so that users can use it as an information resource.

How To Create 3D Artists Impressions?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MrSoftware

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'd like to include some 'artists impressions' in my forthcoming planning app.

I had planned on hiring someone to create some 3D Google Sketchup images and then use Google Earth to show views of the proposed house from all sorts of different viewpoints .. but I can't find a local cheap Sketchup guru ...

So, what have YOU used to create pretty informal 3D views of YOUR proposed development?

#2 jsharris

Please ignore all posts by me, some are erroneous

• Member Blogger
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWiltshire/Dorset border

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

I made a couple of scale models from 2D drawings and then photographed them. I also found the models invaluable in getting people to understand the way that the house sits within the landscape, far, far better than a drawing, I think.

#3 temp

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,200 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

One problem is that a mix of real photos and computer generated models can make the CAD model/new house stand out too much. Our architect was good at doing ink and watercolour sketches (He even supplied a few with his quote before he got the job). He drew up a "street scene" for the planners showing the church on one side of our new house and the 16C cottage on the other. Because it was all ink and water colour all the buildings had a consistent drawing style. He was able to age the new house a bit and make it blend in more than it might otherwise have done had he used his CAD system and real photos. The street scene sketch looks very convincing but in fact it's a work of fiction for a number of reasons - for example the cottage next door had a tree out front that hid it's character and there is actually no one place you can stand to get that particular view.

Later I used sketchup to do drawings for an outbuilding. It's not too hard to learn. One nice feature is the ability to change the style to one that mimics a hand drawn pencil or pen and ink sketch. These styles soften the edges and add some charm to what otherwise looked a bit too computer generated.

#4 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

:) I hope you're looking the other way, Jim?

#5 caliwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Aye, quite Dave...still use the pencil and paper but I cheat and use my son and his mate (rjcjh.co.uk) for the sexy stuff.

Think they use 3DS Max, Blue Ray, Mental Ray and of course Photoshop...Wizards. Take a peek at their website for insipiration (scrolling-patience required).

Sorry, slight advertising! :huh:

#6 nickam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHerts, England

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

I agree with what Temp has said. I use 3D CAD but I'm not the best at it and would normally use someone else to do a decent render of a building after I've prepared the 2 drawings. It is, as stated difficult to match the lighting setups in CAD to match the reality. I also used to do watercolour renders for a firm of architects I worked for (that was some time ago) and it's true that it probably is easier to match the two, old and new. If you still need someone I can recommend them if you send a PM.

#7 DarrelCDurose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

I have done it a few times. Yes the lighting is important, also the camera setup and materials are equally so. My main designing is interiors but have done some exterior architectural renders also. I like to design and render in the same software package (TurboCAD Pro Platinum). I used to use a separate render program but doing everything in one I find it more straightforward when something needed changing and not having to start again etc. Thanks for the pointer to this great forum Nick :-)

#8 Clodaghb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hi, I would like to be able to do a simple mock up image of my house frontage showing an extension and moving the a window and front door around - can anyone suggest a package I could use for something like this?

#9 joiner

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 10,718 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

:) Welcome to the forum.

You'd probably be best off with this...

It's free and actually quite a powerful package.

Tutorials are available on YouTube...